Private window with Tor

When I try to connect to any URL in Tor I get this response:

No internet

There is something wrong with the proxy server, or the address is incorrect.

Try:

ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED

Hide details

If you use a proxy server…

Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don’t believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Brave menu > Settings > Show advanced settings… > Change proxy settings… > LAN Settings and deselect the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” checkbox.

I don’t use a Proxy server

What do I do to restore it?

Bump. Having the same issue.

1 Like

Hi @bcornes, welcome to Community!

Does this site work when you’re outside of a private window? Does it work in a private window that does not use Tor?
Some sites may not work while using a Tor private window.
For more information about Tor and how it works, please visit:

Hi and thanks for the response.

In answer to your questions, the site that I used to try and find out what was going on (Google) works outside a private window, in a private window but NOT in a private window with Tor.

In fact no sites at all work with Tor.

Barry

1 Like

@ bcornes
Has Tor ever worked for you?
What is the OS that you are using, do you use firewall or antivirus, if so, which one?
What version of Brave are you using: brave://version?

Tor can be blocked by your ISP, firewall/antivirus. Some countries like Iran block Tor.

Hi,

Yes Tor has worked for me but just suddenly stopped.

I’m in the UK on Win 10 with Panda antivirus and firewall, which hasn’t changed.

Brave says I’m up to date

Brave is up to date

Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Barry

Same here. As early as yesterday afternoon TOR windows was working. Today I get the previously indicated message by @bcornes . Looks like is unable to setup the onion circuit.

Issue with Mac OS version only.

Tried it in the same network with a Win 10 computer and no issue.

I’m having the same issue running macos 10.

Yep. There are many other posts appearing now with the same issue. See pic below that precedes the error message above that I get on my Mac:

There is an issue logged for macOS Catalina

1 Like

Unfortunately, not just a Catalina issue, as noted in this thread.

From the posts I’ve been receiving since I first posted details about this issue on Windows 10, it seems to have been hi-jacked by the issues people are also having on the Mac platform.

Is there any progress in finding out what has gone wrong with Tor in Windows?

1 Like

Hey @Aa-ron

I can confirm that brave.com loads in a standard window and Private Window, but not a Tor private window.

New version(v1.0.8) of Tor component was pushed.

Navigate to brave://components and check if the component version is 1.0.8, if not, click Check for Update . It should update to v1.0.8. Restart the browser.

Let me know if that fixed your issues.

Any help to do this would be greatly appreciated, not at all sure how to navigate to brave://components

Barry

Thanks, @btlechowski. Tor showed as up to date in Nightly and updated in Release from 1.0.7. What I don’t get is the erratic behavior. That is, some people never had trouble, while others had Tor not work or got warnings about not being able to verify/check the module. Any idea why the variation? Especially since it’s not even an issue confined to a specific version of an OS or even a specific OS?

1 Like

Just paste brave://components into URL bar, just as any other link

1 Like

Thanks, followed the instructions and it did update, however still have the same issues, Tor not working with exact same message as previously.

Barry

1 Like

There is another issue we are having with Tor: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/8076#issuecomment-582658262
It reproduces on Windows.

If you open Tor Window from Private Window, Tor may not work.
Open Tor Window from normal Window through Hamburger menu and Tor will work.

No, sorry! That’s precisely how I have always opened Tor, but it still doesn’t work even after the update and a couple of reboots.

Barry

1 Like