Private with TOR won't work

Description of the issue: TOR won’t work

1. I click hamburger and select “new private browser with TOR”
  2. opens up and shows standard tab screen
  3. when i type anything it say’s “No internet: There is something wrong with the proxy server, or the address is incorrect.” Despite internet being fine.

Expected result: I want to be able to use the TOR function in the browser

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
-I am in the US
-last week the TOR private browser was working without a hitch. Made no changes to the computer’s software
-Downloaded Brave two weeks ago
-Mac computer

Just checked it out, different issue

Hi @ma21reilly, can you

1. Navigate to brave://components and check if the component version is 1.0.8 for Brave Tor Client Updater (Mac).
  2. If yes, restart the browser and open New Private Window with Tor.
  3. If not, click Check for Update. It should update to v1.0.8
  4. Once updated, restart the browser and open New Private Window with Tor.

Wondering, it could also be this issue - https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/8076#issuecomment-582684925.

Was already updated to v1.0.8, restarted and opened new private window with TOR. Same issue.

Checked out github.com thread, tried to reproduce their solution. Also didn’t work.

Tor tab works on new Mac installs for limited time but eventually, for reasons unknown, end up at this same no connection bug. Incredibly, trashing all Brave-related user Library files (incl. caches) and reinstalling does not fix. I have been having this problem for over a year.

1 Like

for windows it says Version 0.0.0.0 and if I try to search for Updates it fails

It’s still an issue for me on macOS:

Brave	1.17.73 Chromium: 87.0.4280.67 (Offizieller Build) (x86_64)
Überarbeitung	0e5d92df40086cf0050c00f87b11da1b14580930-refs/branch-heads/4280@{#1441}

Using Brave Tor Client Updater (Mac) - Version: 1.0.13

It used to work until “recently”. But now, when I start a new private tab with tor, it just says

Tor status
Disconnected

2 Likes

I have the same experience.The TOR status is DISCONNECTED.
HOW TO SOLVE???
Thks for info how to solve this.

1 Like

@iMaan @alexs77,
Would one of you be willing to share a screenshot of the error you’re describing so I can get a better idea of the situation?

This is the screenshot (in Dutch language).
I also checked the Component status and that is
Brave Tor Client Updater (Mac) - Versie: 1.0.13
Status - Component niet bijgewerkt
Controleren op updates
I cannot update this component

Thks 4 your help

@iMaan,
Can you confirm that you’re running the latest Brave build? v1.18.70 at the time of writing this.

1 Like

I’m running:

Versie 1.18.70 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Officiële build) (x86_64)
](https://brave.com/latest/)

Brave	1.18.70 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Offizieller Build) (x86_64)
Überarbeitung	9407c80213cda69c2b7abcb4fa8e3f74488f4956-refs/branch-heads/4280@{#1807}

I’m on macOS.

And now it’s working :slight_smile:

With 1.17.75, it was not working. As for screenshot , I saw the same as @iMaan (but in German).

Still does’n work and have the TOR-status: DISCONNECTED.

What did you do alex77???

2 Likes

I didn’t do anything special at all. When I originally wrote my answer, I wrote that it still didn’t work, but then, I was still on 1.17.75. I simply updated to the latest (1.18.x) and Tor started to work.

1 Like

@iMaan,
Are you connected to a VPN by chance? Do you have any Antivirus software running in the background?

1 Like

Yes indeed, I use NordVPN.
I have checked and switched off this NordVPN app. Still te same message on Tor-status: disconnected

Hi Mattches of Browser Support,
Any suggestion how to solve problem???
Thks 4 reply

It looks like a problem on macOS; private-Tor windows work properly for me on Windows 10.