Can't open Tor window on MacOS

I’ve just started getting this error when I click on the New Private Window with Tor option (screenshot attached).

I’ve tried reinstalling Brave, with no effect.

I’m on MacOS 10.15.2, using Brave version 1.2.43. Things were working just fine less than an hour ago! Any help would be much appreciated.

That’s pretty weird, @janpd24. It’s working fine for me with same version of Brave and macOS. I wonder if a certificate expired at just the wrong time or something. If you were in the UTC+2 time zone it might make more sense, but ???. @Mattches, does that sound likely?

A quick fix might be to go to System Preferences–>Security&Privacy and click the General tab to see if you can authorize opening of the download.

That option is already selected on my machine. I’m UTC+5.5, so a certificate expiry might make sense. I’m going to check in the morning and report back if the problem persists.

Thank you.

@janpd24,
Please let us know if your problem persists!

Hello. Similar issue here (UTC -5).

Unable to access any sites when using ‘New Private Window with Tor’ option. Receive standard “No internet” error message, but no other prompts.
Started the same day as the OP.
Haven’t made any changes to browser settings. Neither restarting the browser nor system resolved the issue. :slightly_frowning_face:

Brave Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Mac OS: 10.12.6

@Mattches, I found this somewhat similar set of circumstances in a Linux/Fedora thread. Because of the command line, it looks different, but the inability to update the GPG key for Brave caused the Tor authentication to fail. Could that be what’s happening here with these Mac installs? That for some reason these users’ systems can’t update the key and thus can’t authenticate the Tor extension?

Also, one poster noted that if brave.com is blacklisted by a firewall, that will also prevent the key from being updated.

It could be. I think that we are currently working on some mac signing issues but I’m not sure if they’re related. I know that we have a release coming out soon that has ~144 issues fixed/resolved, including a change to how we fetch the tor client updater: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/7959

I’ve found a workaround – in MacOS’s system preferences, Security & Privacy --> General, I had to tick an option to allow the version of Tor to work. I got a warning that it wouldn’t check for viruses, and I clicked okay. Working so far. :crossed_fingers:t5:

@janpd24
Sorry, which option did you select? Thanks.

This finally appears to be fixed w/the update (1.4.96) you folks just pushed. Much appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.