Phone (dialer) links no longer working - Android

Description of the issue:
“Call” links, like those on a Google Business page, no longer bring up my Phone dialer app / keypad. Nothing happens.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Click on a “Call” link in Brave browser.

Expected result:
Open phone dialer app, populated with correct phone number, ready to dial.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave 1.57.50, Chromium 116.0.5845.96

Mobile Device details
Samsung Galaxy S9, Android 10

Additional Information:
“Call” links work fine in Google Chrome on the same phone.

@johnnyzero,
Thank you for reaching out.
You see this happen for all phone/call links (not just ones on/from Google)? Additionally, can you tell me if you turning Brave’s Shields off (lion icon in the address bar) while on the site with the phone link makes any difference?

Nevermind - fixed.

Apparently, a recent update added a Privacy setting called “Allow app links to open in apps outside of Brave”, which was set to Off.

I never touched this setting, so I’m guessing that, when I updated, this new setting must have defaulted to Off (which is kinda dumb).

This might explain some of the other recent posts I’ve seen here about external apps not opening properly (YouTube, Reddit, etc). You may want to check that setting.

This happens to me on all websites, if the link has a target then it opens in a new page phone:{somephone} , if not it does nothing.
Same goes for email links.
I am a developer, so ive also encountered this while developing my sites…

I saw the solution, but its not a good one.
You should’nt break basic functionality like that. If you think its a vulnerability, prompt the user to allow it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.