Persistent Pinned tabs like Muon on Mac, or Chrome on Windows

I know that this is also broken in Chrome, so it may be a long shot. However, things worked the way one would expect in Muon (sort of) so I’m going to request it anyway.

I use pinned tabs to keep my mail and other web apps available, and open automatically when I start the browser.

Pinned tabs in macos are not persistent if you close the Brave window with the pinned tabs on. They are persistent if you quit Brave without closing the window. This is annoying since I often just close my browser windows to clear them out of the way. This is the case whatever the On-start up setting is set to.

In Muon the pinned tabs persisted between all the windows - so if I opened a new window, or “tore off” a tab to create a new window, then all my pinned tabs would appear in the new window too, meaning multiple instances of the same page. That probably wasn’t particularly efficient use of my system resources, but it was closer to how pinned tabs work on browsers in Windows.

Right now I’m not exactly sure what the point of pinned tabs are, since it is so easy to lose them.

1 Like

I’ve been away from using Chrome as my primary browser for so long that I wasn’t aware that it lost the feature.

The now NON-feature functionality must be so ingrained in the core chrome functionality that the Brave (not so brave) folks are afraid to touch it. But, like you, I found globally persistent pinned tabs to just be so natural and necessary. It’s surprising to me that the feature was dropped from Chrome and never appeared in Brave.

A good workaround (and beyond) is Workona; that is, if that extended functionality isn’t overkill for you, and if you trust your browsing history with a third party. I’ve been using it for almost a full year now, and once, only ONCE, did I get a Workona popup telling me “You really shouldn’t be looking at that!” :crazy_face: In all seriousness, Workona is a great personal and professional productivity enhancer.

@kalqlate
Instead of necro a post from December 2018, that’s 1656 days and promoting a paid extension that requires to make an account = to give a lot of your information out… maybe you can check Brave github? You know, where you can see all brave development and even use it by using Nightly.

Brave already implemented “Shared Pinned Tabs”, which means all Windows will share the same Pinned apps, it is a WIP and they have to polish the behavior and all that, but it works when you enable the flag.

You sound like a bot trying to sell stuff BTW, like the twitter bots I see jumping in posts because someone mentioned “crypto”.

Hahaha. I assure you, I’m n-n-not a b-b-bot, I’m not a bot. I’m not a bot, and certainly not a shill for Workona - just find it EXTREMELY useful for the price. Even the limited free version can help many. (See what I did there? Additional quick ad there. :joy:) . B-b-but thank you very much for your reply. I didn’t think to check WIP features on GitHub, so while way overly snarky :joy: I do appreciate you for sharing the information. Sometimes people - even you, though it seems you would never admit it - are just ignorant of things, even when steeped in systems development and well-versed in search and getting answers.

Here, let me show you a better approach that conveys the same message without all the snark:

"Hey! It looks like you’re responding to an old post. Haha… and you look like a shill for Workona. That’s a paid extension. But did you know that you can search Brave’s Nightly builds on GitHub to discover unreleased work-in-progress features? Indeed you can. In fact, Brave has already implemented “Shared Pinned Tabs”. You just have to discover and enable the associated flag.

Hope this helps!"