Old Brave Launching


I wasn’t able to find anything like this, so I hope this is a new topic.

I installed the Brave update a while back, and when I check the version it says Brave is up to date Version 0.58.21 Chromium. But when I click on a link in Outlook, for instance, it launches an old version of Brave. I went into Installed Programs (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and it only shows the old version of Brave installed (0.25.304). Any idea why I don’t see the new version of Brave in Installed Programs? Any idea how to fix this?


It definitely should appear there. You should see one for both old and newer builds.
Lets take care of the Outlook links issue first. When Brave Core (new) is installed, it doesn’t automatically set itself to be your default browser. It was very likely still set to the old (Muon) Brave on your machine. To solve this, simply change your default browser to the new Brave (Settings --> Default Browser) and you should be good to go.

Let me know if this does not work and we will instead attempt to set Brave Core via the Handlers option in Content Settings.

Thanks for your quick response and suggestions. Brave is and was set as the default browser and there are two entries for Brave in Programs and Features. One entry gives the Brave version (which is states is 0.25.304, though it gives the install date of 22 December, which is when I updated to 0.58.21) and the other gives the build version (, same install date, and a build which is not close to the appropriate current build 71.0.3578,98). Despite that, though the older version of Brave loads, for instance, chem following a link in Outlook, I do in fact get the new Brave when I launch from Start or a shortcut. These three screen captures (hopefully this works) show this.


I took a quick look in Content Settings and nothing in there appeared to address this issue, but please let me know what else you’d like me to try.


I have been having the same issue, easy fix- just uninstall the one that is 0.25.304, then make sure Brave is still your default browser.

That fixed it all right. Thanks! The only reason I didn’t do this in the first place is because the other version that reports as Build is wrong and old, also. But it fixed the problem. So thanks!

1 Like