Nothing shows up when I open the app

Description of the issue:
Whenever I open the app I get hit with a blank, dark grey screen. when I updated to the latest version a search bar would pop up but now thats gone aswell

How can this issue be reproduced?

1.opening the app

Expected result:
I expect the app to just function regularly as I was using it a few hours ago and nothing seemed wrong

Brave Version

Mobile Device details
Samsung galaxy A52 5g, Android 11

5 Likes

i thought this was just me because i pressed a redirect link on YT and it happened to me. i thought something happened to the app through the link but after uninstalling i realized it was deeper than that but couldn’t place what was wrong

3 Likes

OH MY GOD the same thing happened to me cause I have brave as my default browser. and it wouldn’t open. this is weird and a pain cause I use it alot

2 Likes

I’ve started encountering the same issue on Android as of about 11:00PM EST. Clicked a link on Reddit, Brave seemed to hang for a moment, and then crashed. Any further attempts to open the app result in a black screen that will not take any input, then a notification that Brave is not responding. Force stopping the app, restarting the phone, and reinstalling the app have all failed to resolve the issue.

5 Likes

yea I did all of those too. the fact that this is happening to two other people isn’t a coincidence. I hope someone gets to this soon

3 Likes

Started having the same problem today. The app stalled then gave a not responding notification. Multiple restarts and uninstalls have done nothing. Galaxy S10 with Android 11

4 Likes

Same thing happened to me around 1130pm est. Followed all the same steps but nothing worked yet.

4 Likes

Same issue here on galaxy S21. The app tries to load and just has a gray screen then usually crashes. Removed app data and tried reinstalling several times without any luck. Please fix this brave so I don’t have to have google tracking all my browsing data.

5 Likes

Just tried Brave Beta and Brave Nightly. Both crash on startup as well. Seems almost like a server side issue… Some web service required on startup is slow or unavailable?

4 Likes

Same thing with me. Happened around 11pm EST on Sunday. I went to the App Store, did an update, still the same thing. I hope I can get it back. Using Chrome now to type this.

3 Likes

Same here. No warning, it was working one minute and had stopped the next. Trying to click links crashes apps because brave is my default browser, but tbh it won’t be if we don’t at least hear what’s wrong soon. This is unacceptable.

2 Likes

Same event. I was running 1.27.77 and it stopped while I was reading YouTube comments. Restarting had no effect. Clearing cache and app data also failed. I occasionally got an address bar, but no touchscreen response. Rebooting my phone ( motorola 5g ace) and uninstall-reinstall failed. Installing .90 also failed; I got the welcome to brave screen, but it won’t accept touchscreen input and swiping to change apps was locked out.

2 Likes

As of around 12:10AM EST, the Brave app is working again. I have no idea what changed, I haven’t really been using my phone since the app stopped working.

2 Likes

App also isn’t opening for me. I open it to a blank page and after a few minutes I get

2 Likes

Same here, but I have been using my phone and nothing came up wrt updates of anything. Perhaps it was a background process, or perhaps it was a simple fix. Hopefully we’ll find out what, exactly, it was; close to an hour of unexplained, unforeseeable downtime is… not something I want out of my browser.

Edit: Especially if some people are still affected.

3 Likes

Seems to be working again at 12:15am EST

3 Likes

Same. After 11 pm eastern time. Was streaming NFL and tried to open a new tab while game audio was in the background. The new page tab came up black/greyed out, and the header ribbon never filled in. All greyed out with no icons. Eventually, the phone notified that Brave was unresponsive and I chose “close the app.”

After unsuccessful attempts to reopen the app (all attempts acted the same as the original crash), I re-started the phone. Still identical result.

Next, I performed an update. After the update, every attempt to start the app results in a white screen with no formatting whatsoever. I didn’t want to uninstall and risk losing my settings and open tabs (like 200). Now I’m afraid that the update process may have still killed my data.

I am very afraid. Please hold me. :worried:

4 Likes

Same has happened to mine on a Galaxy Tab A running Android 11. Sometimes it’s a white screen with nothing there, sometimes it’s a single new, unresponsive tab. Restart and cache clear did not help.

I thought I had too many tabs open, but apparently not.

(Brave Version: 1.31.90)

1 Like

Whew. Back up and running!

All is right again in the world! Except for inflation, food shortages, fake virus fears and forced killer vaccines. Other than that, groovy! :grin:

1 Like

Still isn’t working for me.

1 Like