Today Brave Browser updated itself from the previous Chromium 80.x version to Brave 1.7.98 Chromium 81.0.4044.113 (Official Build) (64-bit). This is on a Win10 x64 Pro 1909 PC, with latest Windows Updates.
The program was working fine before this update. I will note that Brave has always taken “a little while” to start even on this fast PC (Intel Core i9, 32G-DDR4, NVMe SSD, GeForce RTX2080) – from the time the GUI screen is up, it still would take 5-sec or more for it to respond to my mouse or let me type. I’m not doing anything odd (e.g. VPN) for Internet access, nor using Brave Sync.
But this new Brave version is off the deep end. After I start, Brave is completely unresponsive for a long while. After launch the GUI appears (with bookmark icons & URL bar) but the Task Manager says Brave (and its dozen sub-tasks) usage is “very high” which equates to about 10% of the CPU. It takes about 3-min before it finally allows me to do anything (respond to the mouse by launching a bookmark or dropping a menu, or letting me type in the URL bar) after which the program is then responsive. At that point the TM usage is “very low,” i.e about 0.1%. I’ve also Disabled all extensions, no diff.
During the non-responsive period, I’m unable to access Brave’s “hamburger”/More tools/Task Manager to figure out which Brave task is running at a high value. By the time Brave gives me control to do that, the high usage has subsided.
Initially some sites wouldn’t work – e.g. Netflix would tell me that “something had gone wrong” and not let me access anything. I finally cleared the history/browser catch (Browsing history, download history, Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files) then restarted. After the 3-min wait (unchanged) for Brave startup, Netflix and a few other sites that didn’t work were OK after I relogged in. I’ve also been slowly turning on some of my extensions (e.g. password manager) although that hasn’t made a diff.
Launching from a CLI (brave.exe --disable-gpu) doesn’t make any diff.
So right now I’m left with “Brave is unresponsive for about 3-min after launch” although everything else I’ve tried seems to work OK after that. For now I’ll just try not to quit the program, and hope that a future update fixes this.
I’ll also mention that Chrome doesn’t have this problem.
Chrome: 81.0.4044.113 (Official Build) (64-bit), and now 81.0.4044.122 (Official Build) (64-bit).