Brave browser not responding

Description of the issue:
I have a laptop and a desktop running Windows 10. On both every time I try to use the browser on either machine I get the “not responding” message in the url slot. It churns for a minute or so and comes back.
I just uninstalled Brave and reinstalled it and it still does this.
I am ready to throw up my hands.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1.Go to any page

Expected result:
It works???

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.1.20 Chromium: 79.0.3945.74 (Official Build) (32-bit)
Additional Information:

Hi there - thanks for writing in and sorry you’re having issues!

Can you go to the settings screen > system > disable hardware acceleration? Hardware acceleration is buggy at times. Or does the bug prevent you from going to the settings screen as well?

I’ll try it. Thanks!

@Asad please it’s been 7 days now kindly reply me. Thank you.

@iznai,
Please do not highjack threads with unrelated issues, thank you.

@BoyoAmsterdam,
To confirm, Brave does launch, but attempting to navigate to a website throws the error described?

Okay, noted. Thank you.

Same issue here with a 5th gen Lenovo X1 Carbon running latest version of Windows 10. Works fine on my phone and Mac. Seems to work for half a minute and then stops responding for about half a minute. Always comes back, but consistently stops responding also.

Disabling hardware acceleration did not solve the issue for me or change the behavior. Appears to be the main Brave thread (lowest PID) that starts chewing up CPU.

I’m on Version 1.1.21 Chromium: 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I just installed the other day. The only non-default thing I’ve done with Brave since installing it is enabling sync.

I have been having this same problem on both my laptop and desktop running the latest Windows 10 and the latest Brave version. I have tried the suggestions here with no good results. It has gotten worse today to the point that is unusable.
Task manager shows 29 items listed under Brave Browser and when I open a new tab the CPU usage goes to over 50%.

The issue has spread to my Mac with the latest update, 1.1.22 Chromium 79.0.3945.79 Official Build.

Was fine before I left the house and when I came back it was closed. Reopening it, it pegged the CPU for a solid chunk of time, maybe 5-10 minutes. Now it is intermittent. 2 minutes of use, followed by 30 seconds of beachball.

I’ve noted what I’m doing when it happens and it often occurs when I’m only interacting with local content, like filling out a web form or in the midst of choosing something from a drop-down.

UPDATE: ROOT CAUSE FOUND
Installed Brave on another Windows computer and noticed I started having the issues the moment I configured Sync. Disabled sync and problem went away. With sync configured, the Brave process with the second lowest PID pegs at 25% (I have 4 cores).

At first, I thought it needed a few minutes to sync, but after 20 minutes, it was clear it wasn’t ever going to stop.

I rely heavily on sync between browsers, as I regularly switch between ~5 devices, including tablets and mobile devices, but I’m glad I’ve at least narrowed the problem down to Sync.

Original Post:
Brave is unusable on both my laptops. One of which (the Mac) is my main work machine. I’ve got work to get done tomorrow morning, so for the 3rd time, my experiment with Brave must end and I’ve got to go back to Chrome.

I love the mission and the features. This version is a remarkable achievement, especially contrasted with the versions I’ve tried in the past. Without any way of fixing this issue though, it’s dead in the water on my two main machines and I need a working browser that can sync between my devices.

I’ll keep monitoring this thread for a while and hold off on fully moving everything back to Chrome, in case someone comes up with a fix in the next few weeks.

I have the same problem even after multiple uninstall/reinstall(s). When I try on open Brave I get a white screen and the comment “Untitled - Brave (Not Responding)”. I takes almost 2 minutes before it does respond and then opens up with the normal start screen. I also followed Asad’s suggestion above and disabled hardware acceleration which made no difference.
Win 10 Pro, build 10.0.18363, 64 bit
Brave Version 1.1.23 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)](https://brave.com/latest/)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.