UPDATE: ROOT CAUSE FOUND
Installed Brave on another Windows computer and noticed I started having the issues the moment I configured Sync. Disabled sync and problem went away. With sync configured, the Brave process with the second lowest PID pegs at 25% (I have 4 cores).
At first, I thought it needed a few minutes to sync, but after 20 minutes, it was clear it wasn’t ever going to stop.
I rely heavily on sync between browsers, as I regularly switch between ~5 devices, including tablets and mobile devices, but I’m glad I’ve at least narrowed the problem down to Sync.
Brave is unusable on both my laptops. One of which (the Mac) is my main work machine. I’ve got work to get done tomorrow morning, so for the 3rd time, my experiment with Brave must end and I’ve got to go back to Chrome.
I love the mission and the features. This version is a remarkable achievement, especially contrasted with the versions I’ve tried in the past. Without any way of fixing this issue though, it’s dead in the water on my two main machines and I need a working browser that can sync between my devices.
I’ll keep monitoring this thread for a while and hold off on fully moving everything back to Chrome, in case someone comes up with a fix in the next few weeks.