New download GUI and focus behavior

Description of the issue:
In last releases, Brave has changed the way a new download is shown (before it was a bar at the bottom of the screen, now we have a download indicator at the top right of the window).

I have two screens, and if I have a private one opened on the left screen, and a normal one on the right screen, if I download a file from the normal one on my right screen, I receive this popup on the left (private) browser. It changes the focus to this private window. So if I use the Ctrl+X shortcut to close the tab which is supposed to be active (where I downloaded my file), it closes the tab of my private browser instead.

Like this:

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open a private browsing window on a screen
  2. Open a normal browsing window on another screen
  3. Download a file from the normal browsing window
  4. Use the Ctrl+X shotcut to close the normal browsing page
    → the closed window/tab is the private one

According to my tests, it doesn’t happen if I use 2 normal browing window. Only if one of them is private.

Expected result:
Keep the focus on the website where I downloaded the file from (so the Ctrl+X shortcut close the last active window).

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.51.118 Chromium: 113.0.5672.126 (Build officiel) (64 bits)

Additional Information:
N/A

1 Like

Video illustration (not a good quality due to dual screen, but easy to understand the behavior).

1 Like

Nobody? :frowning:
At least if someone can try to reproduce?

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out.
I apologize but I’m not entirely clear on the behavior you’re describing. The first part of the behavior I do understand (I think) and on my end, cannot reproduce:

I have two screens, and if I have a private one opened on the left screen, and a normal one on the right screen, if I download a file from the normal one on my right screen, I receive this popup on the left (private) browser. It changes the focus to this private window.

I’m not sure what role the Ctrl + X shortcut plays here — can you elaborate for me (additionally, the shortcut to close a tab is Ctrl + W by default. Did you change the shortcut for this in some way?)?

The download issue itself seems to be the main problem here — if you download a file in a normal window, it should download in that window. If you download a file in a Private window, it should download in that Window. On my end, when I test this, I do not see the download appear in the Private window — the download starts in the normal window as expected.

Yes sorry, the shortcut is CTRL+W, just a typo.

Did you checked the video record? On my side if I start the download from a normal window while a private window is displayed on another screen, the download popup is shown on the private one, and the focus is made here, so if I use the Ctrl+W shortcut, it closes the private window while I was on the normal one.

But it seems that after today’s update (v1.52.117), I no longer have the issue. I’ll try some scenarios and get back here if needed.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. I will leave this issue open for now, please let me know if the issue occurs again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.