New background playback issue

New background playback issue:
I use Brave on Android to play BitChute video playlists all day in the background with the screen locked. Since sometime in September 2019, I’ve started noticing a new issue. When I pause a video for longer than about 10 minutes by pressing the button on my earphones, it wont unpause. Then I check my phone’s lock screen, the Brave playback notification shows as “playing” but it really isn’t. When I double tap the Brave playback notification then unlock the screen, the playback then immediately resumes with the video on the screen. Before September, I could pause a video for over an hour and simply press the button on my earphones to resume playback. The same issue exists if I’m using Bluetooth in the car and pause playback remotely on the car’s audio headunit for over about 10 minutes. I think the same problem exists if I pause the video on my phone’s lock screen and leave it for longer than about 10 minutes.

1. The background playback setting is enabled
  2. In my Android battery settings, Brave is excepted in power saving. i.e Brave isn’t restricted by the Android battery saving measures.

Planned action: I will try reinstalling an earlier version of Brave for Android from August and report back to this post after testing.

Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Android 9 Build 52.0.A.3.84
Brave 1.4.2 Chromium 77.0.3865.116

Issue resolved when I downgrade Brave browser for Android to version 1.3.2 (Arm64 on Xperia XZ2 Compact). APK sourced from apkmirror dot com. I won’t update Brave for awhile.

1.3.2 is an really old version of Brave. I wouldn’t recommend downgrading the versions as its on an older Chromium version and missing security updates. I have logged an issue to investigate this problem and hopefully we can find the root cause and fix it. I would suggest to upgrade back to 1.4.2 for now. Please track the issue here

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.