My extensions are all gone upon FORCED update

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Browsing computer not requesting an update
  2. Load brave and have all extensions gone, also bookmarks bar absent

Expected result:
To not be forced to update and to have a browser that functions as it is supposed to
Brave Version( check About Brave):
[
Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Brave was doing weird things so I closed the program and somehow it caused my wifi adapter to completely shut down. This has happened once before due to a brave crash. Nonetheless, I restarted my computer so the wifi adapter would reset and it did. Of course, what happened when I loaded brave was something else. A new updated version. It took forever to load and now all my extensions are gone. This proceeds after the last update which wiped out all of my passwords.

I’d really like some help with what to do, but I’d also like to say that this is beyond unacceptable. Where are my extensions? Not one exists.

As well, a few months back another problem existed for me where the browser wouldn’t remove the task bar in full screen. This is highly inconvient and it lasted months before being fixed. Why does everything routinely get messed up upon your updates?

Also, my bookmarks that I had below address bar are now gone too. My browser is completely foreign.

@unbelievablypissed,
It may seem strange but can you confirm that you’re not somehow on a different browser profile than you’ve been using?

I’ve never set up a profile to begin with, but I will look at it.

I’m screwed. I loaded session buddy and nothing. All of my sessions that I had saved for the past few years are gone. I don’t remember all of my extensions. I guess bad on me, but this is the first time in my life I have had such bullshit issues with a browser.

@unbelievablypissed,
To confirm, you don’t have any other Brave profiles created, correct? If that’s the case, can you try navigating to ~AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/User Data/Default – this is the directory where profile data is stored like bookmarks, topsites, history etc.

Once here, can you scroll down, find the Bookmarks file and open it with a text editor (notepad, notepad++, etc)? When you do, do you see familiar bookmarks here? It may be a bit hard to read (depending on the editor that you’re using) but you should be able to make out some websites in the text that should correspond to bookmarks saved in the browser. You can also do a ctrl + f and search for one that you know to be there.

The reason we are doing this is to determine whether or not your browser data is actually deleted/gone or if it’s simply not being read properly by the browser (for some reason). It’s very rare for a simple browser update to overwrite any kind of data in that way.

The bookmarks are all there. It just decided to remove the bookmark bar on update. I had to manually set it to show. Anyhow, the main problem I am having is that my extensions are absent and when I loaded session buddy it loaded my previous sessions but they weren’t accessible. The extension wasn’t working properly. I removed the extension, added it again and all of the previous sessions were erased.

Is there a way to fix the issue with extensions or am I SOL? It would be great if I could at least see what they were called. It would be even greater if years of work wasn’t lost because of an update I didn’t request.

I just have to say, if it is so rare for people to have data overwritten or deleted, how rare is it that on consecutive updates it has happened to me? Right now I am locked out of a site because I forgot the email I used to sign up with a service and not only were my passwords erased last time but also some of the usernames. Luckily, on one site a recurring membership was conveniently already canceled or else you’d be screwing me out of money because I can longer access that account because of the lost password and email. That’s on top of the current problem I am facing due to losing years of hobby/research work with my saved sessions.

On both recent updates that have screwed me over, I had shut down the brave browser because it was eating too much ram and revving up the cpu(admittedly a lot of tabs were open each time) and then I would restart the computer Upon both instances of rebooting brave had updated itself.

Just to add further insult with this update. You removed the home button and you added a triangle for a feature I have NEVER used and will NEVER use. Thanks for the forced aethesetic and the remove of a utility. Genius. Does Jack Dorsey run your operation too? How best to drop bowels on users?

@unbelievablypissed,
I’m speaking with the team about your issue presently.

We didn’t remove the home button but it may not be enabled. Go to:
Settings --> Appearance --> Show home button and enable it if so. The aesthetic* is a utility – just because you don’t use it doesn’t change what it is/does. Further, it’s not forced as you can:

1. Opt out of Brave Rewards at any time Settings --> Brave Rewards (toggle features off here).
  2. You can hide the BAT triangle at any time Settings --> Appearance --> Hide Brave Rewards button.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.