Missing BAT after update

This is directed primarily to @Mattches but may be of use to others…

TL;DR “Completely uninstall everything (refer to img below) and then re-verify new wallet and restore from old” caveat … you may lose BAT so be careful or wait for fixed update.

I recently tried to verify my wallet within the Brave browser. Got stuck in what I see now as “the infamous loop” from what I can see in the forum and GIT.

After looking about and following numerous steps I finally managed to get verified but ultimately at the cost of “losing” my BAT in the process.

My resulting efforts were basically as follows:

Download latest version of Brave. Completely uninstall the old version using my copy of App Cleaner (I’d recommend btw) which got rid of a whole host of files. Just deleting the Brave browser didn’t do it.

The resulting files were:

This then enabled me to complete an installation of a fresh version (latest) of Brave.
This was enough for the new version to be completely fresh with the ability to create a new wallet which I then proceeded to restore my previous wallet and go through the verification process which low and behold worked! I now had a verified wallet … however before you bring out the balloons and whistles I realised that my wallet (after being restored) was completely empty, save a pending amount to be added on March 5th. So, what has happened to my balance??

I can only speculate … albeit, I realise there are a few issues surrounding these problems which hopefully will be sorted soon, but it’s not giving me confidence in Brave. I know it’s a fairly young app but giving that this is financial transactional data surely a version shouldn’t be rolled out until completely and fully tested.

@Mattches I have DM’d you my “rewards internals” but I suspect this may not be of any help as the info is different to my original wallet but I would hope that the files i still have from deleting the original may still be of help. Also, I have screenshots of my wallet with the total before doing the re-install.

If you need anything else then refer to the list above and I can send the appropriate file.

Thanks.

1 Like