Metamask hacked after installing into brave

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. INSTALLED METAMASK AND ENABLE WALLET
  2. AFTER A COUPLE HOURS, I WAS COMPLETELY DRAINED OF ALL MY FUNDS INSIDE THAT WALLET

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

1 Like

Could you be more specific about all steps you did?
Your description is very vague. It is not clear if you created a new wallet, or if you imported an existing wallet.

If you installed a new metamask wallet, it is obvious that it is empty. Until you transfer funds into it.
If you imported an existing wallet, did you add the necessary networks? By default it comes with Ethereum network.
What do you see in the blockchain explorer when you search for your older wallet ID? Are the funds there? Do you see any transactions?

Hi, sorry i am still in shock. Those were my life savings, my family and I pretty much depend on it. I install brave today, and install metamask. Then i imported my wallet over. A few hours later, everything was almost transferred out of my wallet.

Btw, I just set brave as my default browser today, and immediately this thing happened.

@saltedxpopcorn

At a glance, the long character string that you have displayed after the word, ‘payment’, appears to be / might be your Wallet Payment ID.

If so, please edit and REMOVE that long character string from your reply, above.

Please DO NOT reveal such personal info IN POSTS at this very public forum, the Brave Community.

IF you are asked by Brave Support, to send them a Direct Message (“DM”) . . .

Let us say that you want to send a Direct Message to @mattches - then in a Brave Browser window, go to:

• https://community.brave.com/u/mattches/summary

Click on the Message button - looks like:

DM

@saltedxpopcorn

Please edit your Original Post (“OP”), above, and include your Brave Browser version numbers, plus computer device (and its OS version) info. Thanks.

May interest:

Nonsense, there is no need to remove that. Nobody can do anything with that without the private keys.

There are no transactions on Ethereum on that address but there is plenty of action on Polygon. Are you sure you are looking on the right blockchain?

yes my money had been stolen from my polygon and bsc… those were my life savings… need them for family and kids…

This is what I see on Polygonscan:

Yes, the hacker removed around $22k to $25k from my account after he did a flash loan attack in aave. That $9k is locked funds inside aave. However, he totally drained me from aave.

Ref.:

These transactions happened shortly after I installed Brave and imported my metamask over. 1st day I am using brave.

@saltedxpopcorn

1 Like

I managed to track my fund. My stolen money came to this wallet. 0x5427fefa711eff984124bfbb1ab6fbf5e3da1820

@saltedxpopcorn,
While am sorry to hear that this is happening to you, I am not sure that it has very much to do with Brave. If your description of everything is accurate, then it sounds like this attacker has/gained access to your MetaMask wallet. You said all you did was import the wallet right?

I suppose you could have managed to land on some sketchy sites or fall victim to a phishing attack within those few hours of using the browser, but either way I believe this attack was going to happen regardless of what browser you were using.

I think your best bet here is reaching out to MetaMask — it looks like @289wk has a couple of relevant links to help you get started.

2 Likes

yes, the only thing i did was to import into brave browser and i checked, i did download metamask from the io website.

Hi, yes, all i did was to import my wallet. I checked my brave browser history, and I downloaded it from the right website. Today is the first day I downloaded Brave and it’s the first time I imported my wallet from chrome to a new browser. A few hours later, my wallet was compromised. I didn’t save my seed phrase online, nor does anyone have access to my private computer or my password etc. No sneaky websites or apps were ever used. This computer is purely for work and crypto.

I understand what you’re saying. This is still an issue to take up with MM rather than with us here at Brave.

i checked, i dont think it’s metamask. maybe there is a explict here because i browsed brave community, there were past incidents of people reporting metamask hacks too.

@Mattches

This evening (June 11, 20200) I stumbed onto:

https://www.howtogeek.com/716771/did-you-know-browser-extensions-are-looking-at-your-bank-account/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.