Major Performance Issues

Description of the issue: High CPU and Memory usage

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Start Brave
  2. Sit on just one page: facebook Messenger, with almost no activity.
  3. Have 25+ tabs that are visible, but never loaded.
  4. Leave it running, and do nothing.
  5. Monitor CPU and memory usage over time.

Expected result:

1. At start, CPU usage can be 10% or more for several minutes, even when no other processes generating much CPU usage. And “normal” IDLE (no actions) CPU usage is 1-3%.
  2. If left for several days, memory usage climbs, reaching as much as 10GB even when no browsing activity of any sort occurs.

Brave Version: Version 1.1.21 Chromium: 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3920XM CPU @ 2.90GHz
Memory: 32GB

Grateful for advice/assistance/rectification. Thanks!

Hello

I noticed the same!
I’ve just opened the Brave browser and open 1 single tab, and in manager task shows that I have 19 process of Brave.
I also noticed a high CPU and memory usage.

The Brave version is “Versão 1.1.21 Chromium: 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)”
My machine is old but is good:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz
Memory: 8GB
Disk: SSD Kingston 240GB

Hardware acceleration can cause similar issues; try disabling it from the Brave settings screen under Additional Settings > System > Use hardware acceleration when available

Thanks. I did that and relaunched.

It ran at 20-30% CPU for the first 2 minutes, then settled into a range of 2-10% CPU as it continued to start 30 processes, and quickly accumulated 1.8 GB of memory! All this within the first 5 minutes of starting.

At the 10 minute mark, with zero browsing activity in that time, the CPU was cycling in the range 1-7% and memory still at 1.8 GB.

I run multiple browsers, including Vivaldi, Epic, Opera, Firefox, Cliqz, Waterfox and others. None of these comes anywhere close to these figures even with significant activity, let alone idle at startup.

There’s a real performance issue here.

Passing this one along to the team for investigation.

Can you send me a screenshot of your processes window in Task Manager? Is a specific Brave-related process eating up your memory/CPU? There’s a known bug with the ledger process that does this.

What is the status of this investigation, please?

The problem continues and is a dreadful drain on resources! With zero activity other than letting the application run in the background, the CPU averages 1-4% and memory slowly increases. After several days of this, the accumulated memory can be very substantial indeed! I recently killed the application because it had reached 14GB of allocated memory with virtually no user activity during that period!

Thanks for an update!

Hello,

I’m experiencing the same issue since installing Brave a few days ago.

Thanks for an update.

Hi there everyone. I’ll reach out to the team for a status update on the investigation. More updates soon!

Hi. Still hoping for an update. Thanks!

Still no update? Would be good to know if there’s any progress. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.