Macbook Pro - Poor Video Performance

Description of the issue:
I consistently have poor performance with any video content in Brave (and have done since using it for 6 months+) - e.g. Youtube, Facebook videos etc. It forces the fans to run hot. The laptop turns laggy. Video jumps frames.
The worst is usually Facebook Live + Comments (actually freezes macOS and forces a restart), 4k or 1080p60 on Youtube.
Safari handles the same videos with no issues.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Play any Youtube video in 4k or 1080p60.
Watch FB live with Comments - I suggest fb.gg/stonemountain64 for some fun viewing.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Laggy macbook. Video skips frames. Sometimes freezes macOS. Fans whir like crazy.

Expected result:
Smooth video playing with no overworking fans

Reproduces how often:
Every time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
macOS 10.14.6
Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

I have older macbook, and tested various FB streams. None were lagging. (either 720p or 1080p source).

Depending on resources you can either offload the GPU or leave it the CPU. I would check enabling/disabling Hardware Acceleration in Brave settings, while looking a CPU/GPU resources in More Tools -> Task Manager

Thanks for the reply @fanboynz

I tried disabling Hardware Acceleration and that made it worse. This video for example jumps, lags etc even at 720. The tab goes to about 80% CPU and GPU jumps to about 40%.

And again, the same video in Safari at 1080p60 is smooth as. No issues…

@conor,
Is this happening for websites other than Youtube that you stream video on?

@Mattches thanks for the reply :slight_smile:
It happens on most websites with video players: facebook (live streams or normal videos), sparksport.co.nz etc.

The only player that seems to not totally freak out is the Netflix player, but my macbook still works pretty hard!

@conor,
I can’t reproduce this myself on my macbook. Both the videos you linked worked without issue on my end. Do you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, which ones?

Extensions, caching issues, or other mucked up profile data may be causing this issue. Can you try creating a new browser profile (Menu --> Create new profile) and see if you get the same results when you view video content in the fresh profile?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.