Lots of blank white screens/pages, rendering issues

Description of the issue:

A troubling, recurring issue on Brave 1.0.0 desktop (release). Used to happen in much older versions of Google Chrome. Like years ago, I remember this happening.

Every so often, a page will render totally white/blank. Refreshing with Ctrl+Refresh to bypass cache usually fixes it.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Browse the web for a while.
  2. Experience a page load in total white/emptiness.
  3. Press Ctrl-F5 (or hold Ctrl while clicking Refresh) to bypass cache.
  4. Page is correctly loaded this time.

You can insert a step to view the page’s source and verify there is HTML content meant to be seen on screen. It makes no difference. The page won’t render until a manual Ctrl-Refresh is performed.

Expected result:

Web pages that load correctly every time.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Try disabling hardware acceleration. Go to brave://settings/system and uncheck “Use hardware acceleration when available”.

Just tried that and it didn’t change.

Ironically, the exact issue I reported here happened when Brave restarted (after I made the Settings change).

This tab (the forum topic page we’re on) came up completely white/empty. Normal refresh didn’t work. Only Ctrl-Refresh successfully rendered the page.

I would try clearing your cache completely, if it’s not too inconvenient for you. We’ve had intermittent reports of this – usually hardware acceleration is the culprit. @rebron2000 would love to hear any suggestions from your end!

Since I just installed Brave from scratch today, there was only 4.1MB in the cache.

Why would clearing the cache have any impact when I didn’t have Brave installed before today?

I wonder if it could be related to this issue:

Very unlikely, in my opinion (mostly because I’m only having the issue with Brave, and not Google’s Chrome).

Are you experiencing this, too, @MDBludrgn?

It’s still happening in Brave 1.0.1.

Reliably reproducible for me on these forum topics. Nearly every page loads white/blank unless I do a forced Ctrl-Refresh. Hardware acceleration setting makes no difference.

Shields are off and no resources are being blocked by uMatrix or uBlock Origin (tried it with both extensions disabled, too).

Not recently, the issue I was having happened to be a host/server issue that ended up being resolved. I read the article that was sharing similar issues and wanted to share not knowing if it might help someone. Thanks!

@ChesterCheeser,
Can you provide a set of steps that you can confirm will reproduce this issue? On my end, I’m unable to reproduce this using the steps you’ve laid out. On both Windows and macOS, Brave doesn’t have issues rendering sites in the way you describe.

Additionally, can you tell me if you have any extensions installed while browsing? If you disable them, does the behavior change?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.