Light mode not available / Dark mode always on

Description of the issue:

If I disable dark mode, Brave’s chrome is still dark.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Set “Brave colors” to “Light”.
  3. Verify that default theme is enabled.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

• Dark browser chrome
  • Dark background on Settings et al.

Expected result:

Light mode

Reproduces how often:

Always

Operating System and Brave Version:

macOS / Version 1.68.134 Chromium: 127.0.6533.88 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

macOS is set to light mode too.

If I toggle Brave’s colors between light and dark, strangely, the tab separators change colors, but nothing else.

I believe this started one upgrade ago, earlier this week.

My org manages my browser and they have a habit of pushing settings without announcing them. Is there a way they could be enforcing dark mode? If so, why is this not reflected in the Settings UI?

As a workaround, I’m using a light theme, but I would prefer to just use the default light color scheme again.

@timdp,
Just tested on my macOS and was able to go to light mode. Can you try creating a new browser profile (Menu --> More tools --> Add profile) and see if you’re able to change the theme in that profile window?

@Mattches Thanks. A new profile does toggle between light and dark mode properly. But how do I figure out what’s wrong with my current profile? (I’m a software engineer so I don’t mind messing around with config files if necessary.)

@timdp,
Just wanted to test and see if it was in fact something to do with your org. policy/OS settings but if it’s working in the new profile, that means the issue is likely isolated to your main profile.

That said, I don’t know what would be causing it. Can you try disabling any theme options you have so we can test? Then, tell me if you have any extensions installed in your main profile at this time and whether or not disabling them makes any difference when you try to toggle dark/light mode.

I poked around in Preferences in my profile as well as in Local State. With some help from ChatGPT, I made sure I had "color_scheme":1 in the former and "dark_mode":0 in the latter. Not sure which one was misbehaving or why the UI didn’t reflect it, but after restarting, light mode was back. Thanks for the pointers!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.