Images in article on SoraNews do not load

Description of the issue:
Many articles on the SoraNews website do not load images within the post until shields are completely turned off.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Example post: https://soranews24.com/2022/01/20/is-mcdonalds-japans-new-godiva-hot-chocolate-worth-the-relatively-high-price/

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
The issue happens with both standard and aggressive shields turned on.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
The images load after turning off shields completely.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
I have the following adblock subscriptions turned on:
Easylist-Cookie List - Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices
Fanboy Annoyances List
Fanboy Social List
uBlock Annoyances List (used with Fanboy Annoyances List)

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.34.80 Chromium: 97.0.4692.71

same here, some of them load with scripts disabled though.

This always seems to be an issue in Brave specifically. When using uBlock Origin in Firefox or Chromium-based browsers, the images load with no issue.

@BraveGem I just wanted to give you a heads up. I went to test the link you showed and I saw where originally it was grayed out. However, when I went to Brave Shields and I changed the cookies to be “Cross-site cookies blocked” instead of “cookies blocked,” the images loaded.

So on that site at least, it seems they need cookies. I’m not sure if that’s something Brave can fix or if there’s no way but to just have that setting changed for that site (or those types of site) only.

Maybe @fanboynz can help a little on that?

1 Like

@Saoiray Thank you for replying! I’ll try the cookie settings change. One thing I should mention is sometimes I can just reload the page without changing any settings and the images will then load. It would be great if it’s just a cookie setting, though.

After setting the site to always allow all cookies, I came back later to the site on this link: https://soranews24.com/2022/01/27/is-the-ideal-spouse-someone-whos-your-best-friend-or-your-war-buddy-japanese-singles-sound-off/

And the images in the post were not loading, despite all cookies allowed and then changing shields to standard instead of aggressive. Firefox with uBlock Origin was able to load the images. However, Microsoft Edge was not able to load the images with uBlock Origin turned on.

@BraveGem

Oh, well…that leaves me with another question. Not sure why my screenshot only took of that and didn’t get the image of Soranews behind it on the same page. That’s a first.

Anyway, with my settings as you see it, I was able to go through all sorts of articles and all on https://soranews24.com/ and it all loaded for me with absolutely no issues UNTIL I got to https://soranews24.com/2018/05/07/the-power-of-fast-food-supreme-leader-kim-jong-un-wants-mcdonalds-to-invest-in-north-korea/

Once I got there, I just had to refresh the page once and the images loaded. I’d say I probably clicked on over 100 links and skimmed through articles. I even changed between Japan, China, North Korea, etc to see if any of that played a part.

If your computer is doing it more often, I’m not sure what’s going on. Let me ask, I’m on Windows 10. What operating system are you using? (Been noticing people on Windows 11 have a lot of issues, I’m curious if that’s what you’re on)

Oh, and make sure yours is updated. I just was looking and my Brave version is
Version 1.34.81 Chromium: 97.0.4692.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I’m seeing your 1.34.80 vs my 1.34.80 and your Chromium 97.0.4692.71 compared to my 97.0.4692.99. I’m assuming the version difference might at least play a small role as well, but maybe not. Obviously I’m grabbing at straws and was trying to think before going to bed. Hopefully Fanboynz will stop in “tomorrow” or sometime soon and help figure it out.

1 Like

@Saoiray Stephen, I can’t thank you enough for checking on this and your time. I’ve tested a bit more and it looks like a combination of keeping shields at standard plus turning cross-site cookie blocking off might make it work every time.

Also, I am using the latest version of Brave. (The version number has gone up since I first wrote the post.)

Cheers!

1 Like

Try adding this into brave://adblock

@@||c.amazon-adsystem.com/aax2/apstag.js$domain=soranews24.com

Does that help with the images?

I added it to brave://adblock and kept cross-tracking cookies blocked and shields at aggressive.

The images load on some pages, and sometimes they don’t load at all. It’s really odd and I don’t know why this happens.

For example, I’ll go to the main page of the site, open up the posts in new tabs, but eventually one post will just not load, such as this one: https://soranews24.com/2022/01/28/pringles-teams-up-with-hello-kitty-for-new-sanrio-collection-in-japan/

Ok, so the post I said didn’t load eventually did load when I went back to check the tab later. I wonder if there’s some sort of bandwidth saving thing going on? I have a fast broadband connection and this is the only site I’ve seen this behavior on.

They’re using Anti-adblock techniques, intentionally breaking the site. Would clean the cookies/cache between loads.

1 Like

@fanboynz Thank you for the insight! I will try that.

A fix is incoming @BraveGem give it 24-48hrs.

1 Like

You’re amazing! Truly doing some great work for both the web in general and Brave!

When the update rolls out, clearing the cache/cookies will also be needed

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.