Hugely irritating DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE when browsing

DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE is showing randomly, several times every day, different sites aren’t opening in Brave while they open in other browsers with no clear logic regarding sites location and addresses.

Tried different solutions, restarting, turning off DNS protection, doesn’t work.

I’m on the latest MacOs with no VPN.

I don’t know how this issue can be reproduced, but I’ve seen other people

I’m using the latest Version 1.51.118

I think the Brave team isn’t addressing this clearly persisting among users issue. Quite dissappointed. If this goes on, will simply uninstall this browser

Is it consistently the same sites that don’t work? If it is, could you give us an example of one that consistently fails?

What do you mean by this exactly?

What settings, exactly, do you have in brave://settings/security?search=secure+dns (Secure DNS)?

What DNS settings do you use for your OS (macOS)?

the setting is off, that’s what I meant

there’s no pattern. Could be any site. Italian, French, US -based

Completely switched off? (i.e., NOT set to ‘With your current service provider’ which would be a different result.) Just making sure we’re 100% clear.

I get that, but what I mean is, is there ‘some site’ that always fails? Doesn’t matter where it is located, but I am curious as to whether we could narrow things down to a very specific set of circumstances.

Do you use any 3rd party security or privacy software on the system?

Is anything set in brave://flags ? (Anything with a non-default setting will be sorted to the top, and will have a blue dot next to it.)

:point_up_2:t6:

I don’t use any specific DNS settings. There’s nothing in brave://flags. DNS in Brave Completely switched off. No 3rd party soft it used. There’s no site that always fails, even failed sites start working after some time for some bizarre reason.

Resolving the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE Issue in Brave Browser

Hello @antonm80 ,

I understand that you are experiencing the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE issue in your Brave browser, despite trying various fixes suggested by other community members. I would like to provide you with some valuable information and possible solutions to address this issue.

First and foremost, it’s important to note that the Brave developers is not careless and lack communication with user about resolving issues and improving user experience. However, it is crucial to understand that this particular issue may not be widespread among the majority of users. This could be due to individual network configurations or specific browser settings that vary from user to user. Consequently, it might not be considered a top priority for immediate resolution.

To potentially resolve the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE issue, I recommend trying the following steps:

1. Temporarily change your DNS settings:
  • Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
  • Navigate to Network and make sure the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner is unlocked.
  • Select the connection you want to configure (e.g., Wi-Fi or Ethernet).
  • Click on the Advanced button and switch to the DNS tab.
  • Replace or add the following Google IP addresses at the top of the list: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  • Click OK and then Apply to save the changes.

By adjusting your DNS settings to use Google’s Public DNS, you might be able to overcome the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE issue. However, please keep in mind that this is a temporary solution and may not work in all cases.

If the issue persists, I would recommend checking your network configuration, firewall settings, and any other security software that might be interfering with the browser’s DNS resolution.

If none of these solutions resolve the issue, it might be beneficial to seek further assistance from the official Brave support team. They have a comprehensive understanding of the browser and can provide specialized guidance based on your specific situation.

Best regards, @SwiftyPop

2 Likes

trying this solution out, so far it works. Do you have an idea why this happens?
Thanks a lot.

This is why I was asking for your

If Secure DNS is off, you are dependent on your OS’s resolver settings. And depending on what those are set to, there could be either a misconfiguration or some upstream issue with resolving names.

As to why it doesn’t affect other browsers, that also depends on what those browsers are and how they are configured. (Which, if you’re good to go from this point forward, maybe not worth theorizing.)

Hi @antonm80 ! I’m glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. It’s a great suggestion to mark my reply as the solution so that others facing a similar issue can easily find the answer.

Let’s explore the reasons behind the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE error in Brave browser:

1. DNS Resolution: The DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE error often occurs due to DNS resolution problems. DNS, or Domain Name System, is responsible for translating domain names into IP addresses. If there is an issue with the DNS server or its configuration, it can result in the error you encountered.

2. Network Connectivity: Network connectivity is another common factor contributing to the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE error. Interruptions or issues in the network between your device and the DNS server can trigger this error. It could be due to a faulty network connection, misconfigured router settings, or firewall configurations.

3. DNS Cache: The DNS cache stored on your device or browser can also cause this issue. Over time, cached DNS records can become outdated or corrupted, leading to problems with domain name resolution.

I hope this information provides you with a better understanding of the DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE error. If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

Best regards, @SwiftyPop

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.