This site can’t be reached community.brave.com’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem. DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE

Description of the issue:
Some times, but not always, I click on a site icon or search result and am presented with: DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.
DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE

This lasts for about 10 seconds and then proceeds to the site if I have the tab active. If the tab is not active it will stay on this error page and only proceed when I focus that particular tab. Sometimes the page never loads and I have to refresh for it to load. I have secure DNS off in Brave settings. This does not happen in other browsers.

I have read many similar posts with this problem but no solutions are given. Further, I don’t see anyone from the Brave team acknowledging an issue here. Generally these posts are just left to expire without an answer. This issue continues and is irritating.

Judging from your subject line, this error also occurs when trying to get to community.brave.com ?

Could you point to 1 or 2 other reports so we can take a look at the big picture?

What version of Brave?

What Linux distro?

How exactly did you install Brave?

Does it occur if you use a Private window for a while?

Do you have any extensions installed/enabled? If so, does it still happen with them all disabled?

Hi Jim, I’m using:

  • Version 1.38.115 Chromium: 101.0.4951.64 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Fedora 36 (problem existed on 35 also).
  • Initially I installed the Brave flatpak. I then deleted this and installed from your official rpm repo. The problem persists in both releases.
  • Yes it occurs in private window as well.
  • No extensions. Clean new install of Brave specifically to test this.

It always does it, for example, on Brave search page, coingecko, and bugzilla to just name a few more sites. It does this on a lot of sites, though not all. It’s usually the first few I visit. I have noticed that it will fail to load the first time for at least 10 seconds. Many times the page won’t load at all and I have to refresh a couple of times until it finally loads. After the page loads successfully, it won’t have the problem again on that page as long as I keep the browser open. If I close and restart, we’re back to the beginning and the pages fail again.

Firefox on the same machine never has this issue by comparison, and loads webpages much faster. I’m sure Brave can function much more efficiently, and I like it a lot, so I am trying to work this out.

1 Like

After further testing, I found that disabling “clear cached images and files” on exit improved performance significantly. I also noticed that my internet connection was having some connection problems which could also be contributing to the problem. It seems that Brave will return that error sometimes when there is no internet connection. I also turned secure DNS on and off again. Maybe that was stuck, though I can’t be sure.

Anyway, browser is working much better now and I haven’t seen above error during last few uses. Will post again if issues return. thanks

Weird, but, I’m glad it’s working.

If you have issues again feel free to ‘@’ me – I use Fedora as well so I can fiddle and test fairly easily if you run into problems.

1 Like