How to Disable these Notifications (from Brave Rewards)

Hi,

I love this browser more every day. Unfortunately, I am getting a notification I cannot figure out how to prevent.

I thought I had disabled all notifications through the settings shown below:

However, I still get this notification (appeared in upper right corner of screen, outside the browser window, on macOS:
Is there a way to disable that notification?
Any assistance you can provide will be extremely much appreciated.

Thank you.

@carla_rogers,
The notifications you’re seeing are Brave Ads. These can be disabled at any time by going to Settings --> Brave Rewards and toggling the Ads option “off”. More information on Brave Ads here:

2 Likes

Thank you, that information made it easy to resolve my problem completely. :grinning: :smiley: :grin: :slightly_smiling_face:
:cold_face: :woozy_face: :dizzy_face: :flushed:
However, in the course of applying the information you provided, my deeply flawed (possibly fascist without me knowing) mind formed an hypothesis (for which there is no evidence). In spite of my best efforts, I have been unable to disprove the hypothesis.

Any comments or information relevant to this hypothesis would be appreciated immensely.

Thank you.
HYPOTHESIS: People besides me might be confused by the fact that settings for Brave Rewards are not within the settings for Brave browser. In the inconceivably unlikely event this could be confirmed, it would imply a usability problem.
IN AN ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION: I have laid out below the steps that led to my confusion.

STEP 0: In response to an unutterable loathing of unsolicited interruptions, decide to block notifications from all sources on my personal computer. (The freedom to make this decision has not yet been revoked by my superiors in the valley of silicon). I made this decision more than a year before I learned that Brave browser exists.

STEP 1: Today, observe the following interruption on my personal computer.

STEP 2: Stop what I was doing, redirecting my time to eliminating this source of interruptions.

STEP 3a: Assume this interruption is a notification.
STEP 3b: Further assume the interruption came from Brave browser.
STEP 3c: Still further assume this interruption can be blocked through the settings of Brave browser
STEP 3d: Ignore the likelihood of three assumptions triggering failure. <— In retrospect, I now see I was hopelessly lost at this point.

STEP 4: Open Brave browser settings and look for a way to block this type of interruption. <–This had no chance of success, since the control of Brave Rewards ads is not in the settings for Brave browser.

STEP 5: Seek assistance, by starting this thread.

STEP 6: Read your answer.

STEP 6a: Look for the toggle identified in your answer in Brave browser settings. I was still plagued by the assumption that the toggle identified is in the Brave browser settings:

STEP 7: Still unaware of my incorrect assumption, search all the settings for “ads”. Of course, this was futile, because the toggle I sought was not in Brave Browser settings.

STEP 8: Looked back at your perfect answer, Search Brave Browser settings for “rewards”. That search led me to this link:

STEP 9: Accidentally form the hypothesis noted above.

IN RETROSPECT
In retrospectI should never have assumed the option for disabling ads from Brave Rewards is within Brave browser settings. I should have known the settings for Brave Rewards are in a different group of settings.

@carla_rogers,
I understand what you’re hinting at – however, Brave Rewards is just a subset of the overall Browser settings. You can get there from the main menu as you described, or the settings menu, or the BAT icon in the address bar, etc. Additionally, you also have to opt-into Brave Rewards in general in order for ads to appear at all. This implies that during the Welcome Tour (onboarding) after installing the browser, you must have elected to participate in Brave Rewards.

Thank you for your feedback regardless.

Deleted by author. Pls disregard. Reposted with corrections.

Thank you for your detailed review and response.

I am very sorry to have created an impression that I am hinting at anything. My goal is to be as direct as possible in identifying a potential bug in the usability of Brave Browser. I am seeking either verification that this is a flaw that could be corrected or that it is not a flaw.

Unfortunately, I remain unable to disprove a usability issue here.

I am sorry for my misleading post. I did not see the link to Brave Rewards in the Brave Browser main menu. I have edited my post to show how I found settings for Brave Rewards.

The reasons I thought settings for brave rewards are outside settings for brave browser:

1. Brave Browser Settings and Brave Rewards settings are peers in the Brave Browser Menu
  2. There is no link to settings for Brave Rewards in the navigation column within settings and there are no controls in Brave Settings that affect Brave Rewards
  3. Colors assigned to Brave Settings have no affect on the color of settings for Brave Rewards
  4. The url for settings of Brave Rewards does not begin with brave://settings

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.