High Memory Usage by Youtube Tab(4GB) leading to browser becoming really slow

@NotAgain that seems to be the question of the hour. After doing quite a bit of testing, memory usage for live content appears to be very inconsistent and further, “high” memory usage does not only occur in Brave.

Testing in Chrome yesterday, both with and without uBlock extension enabled, I was seeing comparable numbers between the browsers and both were equally as inconsistent.

Tested again just now and Chrome is currently showing 763MB usage for this live video:

Another live video, also in Chrome this time with uBO disabled:

Those were only after streaming for ~5-10 minutes. In Brave, those same videos (also after 5-10 minutes) are showing much lower usage:

I also tested a few other popular streaming sites, like Twitch which was a little bit higher but nothing insane:

Whereas yesterday I was seeing much higher usage for live videos in Brave on any/all streaming sites. Ultimately we’re going to have to do more testing, but previously I was convinced this was a Brave specific issue, now I’m not so sure.

Firefox is also showing “high” — or in this case, comparable, usage for live streaming videos:

Will try and continue to keep this thread updated as we learn more.

2 Likes

WoWWW!! Youtube is on a serious mission to stop people from having any possible good experience. :joy:

Anyways, today i opened a live stream, and within an half an hour, it reached 1GB

1 Like

After only a few minutes of trying to watch Shelton’s Wimby tennis match. Video rate was also super choppy, but not because of the site.

heres what i got

2 Likes

Not even a video, but I still got this:

Screen Shot 2024-07-10 at 7.52.23 PM

1 Like

I had the same issue multiple times already.
Brave version: 1.67.134
Chromium version: 126.0.6478.186 (64 bit)
Windows 10 (2H22, build 19045.4651)
GPU acceletration seems to be on in the settings
It seems like creating a new profiles helps a lot, I wonder if it is because of my extentions which are:
Bitwarden
Dark Reader
Ruffle
uBlock Origin
ActivityWarch Web Watcher
OneTab
I don’t really need ruffle so I will remove it and see what happens
UPD: removing ruffle didn’t change much, it is still 1 Gig of usage after half an hour

I suppose, in your case, disabling and removing some of the extensions could help you a lot, such as uBlock and dark reader.

SIR!!! Any updates???
Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 8.47.53 PM
Even after opening a stream after 15-20 days, the issue still remains the same!! 20 min into the stream and high memoery usage causes lag and buffering.

There is an issue opened for this — I’d highly recommend commenting there on Github so our devs know that this issue is still relevant.

But no updates that I know of so far.

Ok!! I’ll update the issue over there. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.