Graphical Errors Using Hardware Acceleration

Description of the issue:

Graphical glitches while using the brave browser (isolated to Brave, not observed using other browsers). After a quick search, I saw that turning off hardware acceleration could fix the issue, so I did. And it did.

The background information and question I have is this:

I have been using brave for months/years without this issue, but my computer (windows 10) updated overnight and I logged in this morning to this issue. I tried restarting, reinstalling graphics drives, as well as uninstalling the latest windows update, but the issue persists.

What could be causing this new issue?

Is there a way to resolve this so I can re-enable hardware acceleration in Brave?

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Easily. Just by using brave.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.63.174 Chromium: 122.0.6261.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

GTX 4080 and intergrated AMD graphics

@tirefrier not sure if it was you or someone else, but I recently answered a similar question from someone on Reddit. Some of it are things you already tried, but I’m still just going to copy/paste below:

There’s no quick answer. Having hardware/graphic acceleration turned on just means it’s using your GPU instead of your CPU for videos and all. Usually this helps increase performance. People who have had issues in the past have shared a variety of things that they found were the cause, such as:

  • Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) in NVIDIA cards
  • Background Application Max Frame Rate was enabled.
  • Graphics cards needed updated
  • Choose ANGLE graphics backend needed to be changed either in their device graphics settings or toggled at brave://flags
  • Some needed to change brave://flags to enable or disable Vulkan
  • In some scenarios, the issue was because of extensions.
  • Some AMD cards required people to rename Brave as Chrome.exe and issue went away (as they prioritize Chrome for performance)

As you can see, quite a lot of things could be happening.

You’ll want to check your graphics settings on your device. If using NVIDIA, you can do this in NVIDIA Control Panel. Other cards should have something similar. From there you can review and/or change settings on a global or program level.

Then as mentioned in the bullet points, you can try toggling some of the things like Vulkan to see if it helps. Or just change which option was chosen at Choose ANGLE graphics backend (there are 4 choices)

Also check your drivers. Can test in private window and/or new profile if you want to rule out extensions causing the issue.

Sorry, long response…I’ll leave it at that.

Thanks for the response! The interesting part of the issue was it happened only after a windows update, so I assumed it was a change in some operating system setting. It’s possible that the update changed some of those things, so I’ll take a look and see if one of the above suggestions fixes the issue. If I find the cause, I’ll report back!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.