Google.com cookies not being cleared on exit

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I just went through and did a quick test, and this feature appears to be working for me. These are the steps I took to confirm (please let me know if they do not work for you):

1. Navigate to sampson.codes/cookie

On a fresh run, the page should indicate that no cookie existed, so one was created.

1. Close the browser, and relaunch it. When sampson.codes/cookie comes up, hit refresh.

The page should say a cookie already existed, and does not need to be set.

1. Go to brave://settings/content/cookies in Brave, and create a new entry under Clear on exit. I used the domain “sampson.codes” alone. No HTTP or HTTPS, and no trailing forward-slash.

Restart the browser again. When it comes back up, refresh sampson.codes/cookie, and the page should indicate no cookie existed.

This example worked fine. However with Gmail using “accounts.google.com” or “google.com” the later which works fine in Chrome and MS Edge Chromium does nothing in Brave Beta Version 1.12.98 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) beta (64-bit). When I exit the browser and start it back up I am still logged into both of my Gmail accounts. Remember I use 2FA and in Chrome and MS Edge Chromium the 2FA cookies are still set which is what I want to happen.

[Vent mode on]

Sorry for the following verbiage but in part its me venting and this post is not so much for me as for others later on should they also wonder why they are seeing this issue.

I am about to uninstall Brave. This is the 3rd time that I will have gone back to another browser. It is frustrating to post problems regarding several issues and wind up falling through the cracks support wise. This issue and the SyncV2 lack of Open Tabs from Other Devices may be a nail in the coffin. Seems that I don’t want to give up on some software but after giving Brave 3 attempts an uninstall may be best.

[vent mode off]

Description of the issue:
In Google Chrome and MS Edge when you enter “google.com” on their respective settings page for cookies to delete on browser exiting browser and restarting browser will automatically log you out of Gmail accounts.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Login to Gmail account which uses 2FA and which you have indicated to trust this computer so that the 2FA does not have to be entered on subsequent logins.
  2. In your Gmail account pull down (icon in upper right corner) click on Add Another Account and login to 2nd Gmail account. This will allow two Gmail accounts to be open at same time.
    3 Go To “Cookies and site data”
  3. Enter “google.com” without the quotes under Clear on Exit
  4. Close browser

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
When you start Brave up the next time and go to Gmail you should be automatically logged out. When you login you should **NOT ** have to enter your 2FA code just your password for either account

Reproduces how often:
Every time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
[Version 1.13.78 Chromium: 85.0.4183.69 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)] Windos 10 Pro 1909

Additional Information:
Note the instructions in step 2 above re second account is simply what I always do. Logging into 1 Gmail account should suffice.

Only because a fellow Reddit user UrbenLegend was willing to help have I fixed this issue. They verified they had no issue with this cookie deletion if “Allow Google login buttons on third party sites” was disabled.

It was suggested that I zip up the Brave Software folder and then start Brave up so that it created a new profile which it did. The cookie deletion worked but ONLY if “Allow Google login buttons on third party sites” was disabled. I had to reinstall all my extensions and I lost cookies and history from prior Brave configuration.

I had been using Edge Chromium for a couple of months but I was not able to import either cookies or history. That is a bit of inconvenience but I will live with it.

There is no way this issue should be allowed to fester this long without Brave personnel doing followups. You can trumpet Brave browser from the rooftops but if the support is not there then if people have issues and are met with silence after repeatedly posting follow post they will move on to the competition.

Update: This problem has reappeared and I am no longer being logged out as I should . It was short lived

show screen tab “see all cookie and site data”
if u disable shield on domain google any page example https://groups.google.com/ and more exit, this data not remove manual, need go again this page, enadle shields and more remove cookie manual.

Well 2 weeks later and slowly adding extensions back in to see what was causing the lack of cookie deletion. So far the google.com cookie is being deleted on browser exit as it should be.

Have not discovered anything so far and it is strange that another install of Brave on another computer has no such issue.

This festering issue is reoccurring w Version 1.19.77 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) & Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (64-bit). I can go to “see all cookie and site data” search for Google.com click on the garbage can to delete the associated cookies, close Brave and upon restart I am logged out of my Gmail account as I should be. MS Edge and Chrome has no such issue it is only Brave that seems to have this issue and it is dam frustrating.

Hello, @fedup. I want to make sure I understand this issue, so as to address it as best as possible. Please let me know if this is accurate: You want to be able to clear all google.com cookies when Brave closes, but without being logged out of your Gmail accounts. Is this correct? And, you’re able to do this with Chrome and Edge presently?

Would you be available to chat via Zoom sometime, so I can take a more direct look at this issue and how it’s impacting your experience with Brave? However I can assist, I’m here.

@sampson On brave://settings/cookies?search=cookies I have specified to delete “google.com”

Under " Always clear cookies when windows are closed"

I want Brave to delete those cookies. When I go to brave://settings/siteData?searchSubpage=google.com&search=cookies and search for Google.com in the search box it shows 13 cookies. See Google.com cookies not being cleared on exit for the cookies in the past that show up as Google.com

If I click on the garbage can on that particular page in Brave and then refresh my Gmail page I am logged out. I do not loose my 2FA cookies. This is exactly what I want Brave to do when I click on the X to shut down the browser. It does not do that.

When I start Brave back up I am still logged into multiple Gmail accounts.

Under Google Chrome and multiple MS Edge Installs on the same computer that Brave is having issues with this deletion of cookie “Google.com” occurs without issue unde Chrome and MS Edge Beta/Dev and Release.

When you added google.com to the Always close… list, what was the exact pattern you used? Did you just type in google.com? Did you check Including third-party cookies on this site as well?

I just zipped up the USERDAT folder for Brave Beta deleted the folder started Brave Beta up sync’d back the extensions and added “google.com” (exactly what I typed less the " ") was set as Always close … list. The third party cookies option under “Always clear cookies when windows are closed” was not used.

I was logged into multiple gmail accounts. I closed Brave waited a couple of minutes. Started Brave up and I was still logged into all of my Gmail accounts. That should not have happened if Brave actually deleted the 13 sub cookies that were associated with google.com

What do you mean by “sync’d back the extensions”?

I was using Brave Sync I put in my Sync code and Brave sync reinstalled my extensions

Why under “Sites that can always use cookies” when I click on the garbage can is it not deleting that entry? Nothing is happening under Brave Beta or Brave release version when that garbage can is clicked on.

Apparently, this is a bug in Brave per https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/12375. The Cookie Google.com when one looks at the detail information for that particular cookie one sees what I call subcookies such as HSID and SID etc. If one deletes SID one then refreshes the Gmail tab you are logged out of gmail. This deletion behaviour IS not occurring in Brave for Google.com nor if you use SID.google.com in the Close Windown cookie list.

@sampson I have also tried deleting the Userdata folder again starting up Brave Beta and just installing Lastpass extension so I have access to my passwords. I logged into Gmail. Set up google.com to be deleted Upon window close. Shutdown Brave. Started Brave up again and I was still logged into Gmail. I wanted to make sure this issue was not being caused by another extension I had previously installed. This does seem to indicate that was NOT the case.

I have now restored the Userdata backup and Brave Beta is back to where it was yesterday.

1 Like

fedup, I am right there with you. I am experiencing the same symptom.
Sites listed under " Always clear cookies when windows are closed" or " Sites that can never use cookies" can store cookies.
“Including third-party cookies on this site” is on for all sites.
Beginning today, I began using the above setting.
After adding the sites, I restarted the browser.

Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (32-bit)
on Windows 10 Pro, version=20H2, OS Build: 19042.685

I got it to work by the following:
Add site listed under “Sites that can never use cookies” with one instance using “Including third-party cookies on this site” and another instance not using “Including third-party cookies on this site”. Therefore, I added a given site twice with the only difference being the “Including third-party cookies on this site”…

@Trifector
I have a long festering issue with Brave inability to delete a Google.com cookie. I want it to delete that cookie but it never does. I have resorted to using a cookie editor extension to change a sub cookies attached to that item to be a Session Only cookie. That way I am automatically logged out of Gmail accounts for security.

I may have to try the third party cookie approach. It seems it is a game of wack a mole at times with Brave.

Update: Nope using the Third Party option for the “Always clear cookies when windows are closed” did not result in the Google.com or specifically the SID subcookie attached to Google.com from being deleted.

Are you saying that Brave is NOT deleting cookies specified under Always clear cookies when windows are closed” when you exit Brave or are you referring to that clicking the trash can icon on that particular page in Brave settings does nothing? Right now I am more concerned with the former as the latter is logged as a bug and maybe fixed several months down the road. Only time will tell.