Brave not deleting and clearing website logins on exit with shutdown

Brave for Windows, (10) Ver 1809 OS Build 17763.737
Version 0.68.138 Chromium: 77.0.3865.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

With all settings indicating Brave should delete everything “On Exit”, I log into websites, including email and I am still logged in. Furthermore, upon login in, it doesn’t seem like much was cleared on exit. (see image). This is after shutting Brave down and then properly logging out of windows, and turning computer off.

Huge fail that pretty much renders my double opt-in method for these sites useless. Furthermore, as indicated in the image, Brave appears to not count some of the login information as either a password or sign-in data. In particular, Gmail and LinkedIn, two of the three sites I sign into at work.

This fosters a false sense of security and privacy suggesting Brave should also offer a “Did you manually sign out of any websites you were logged into” warning.

@wudman,
Thanks for reaching out. However, on my end, I’m able to check all boxes in the On exit window and have that data be erased as intended. I tested using the sites you mention specifically – gmail and Linkedin – as well as a couple other sites and the browser relaunched with the same tabs open but I was signed out of all of them.

Do you have any extensions installed at this time?

No extensions installed and the image attached was taken after turning my office computer on this morning. My expectation is that the image attached would not be showing a few cookies from my usual morning logins and no download history etc.

The only recent update of any kind was a Windows update. Any chance an OS update can break Brave’s ability to clear browsing data?

PS: Ramping this up a bit, this is not the first time I was able to insert a URL that required 2FA login credentials and have the sites open up. Make this a bit crazier, this issue is not consistent. I always power my work computer down. My home office computers, an iMac and Windows 10 systems, both have Brave installed. (hint, I like Brave) My Brave settings preserve passwords that are also protected by physical access as well as a combination of whitelisting, 2FA and/or my computer’s IP address.

@wudman,
If you go to History --> Clear browsing data and attempt to clear data normally/manually, is data erased as expected? Or does clearing data not work at all?

Deleting information manually works 100% of time. Last nights logout I used the manual export, closed all windows, reloaded Brave and my data was cleared as expected.

1 Like

I have selected the “Passwords and other sign-in data” option under the On exit tab of the Clear browsing data settings window and am always careful to exit Brave browser when I am done working (as opposed to just closing the application). In spite of these steps, my critical password-protected applications—Gmail, Toggl, Amazing Marvin, and LastPass—are all still active and logged-in when I open the browser again, whether it be a few minutes later or overnight.

Coming from Chrome, I am accustomed to being able to exit the browser knowing that these applications will be closed.

Is there a way to ensure this level of security in Brave?

@Curtis you need to enable Cookies and other site data too. The browser remember your login via cookies.

Thanks

Thanks, @eljuno. I’ll try that!