Cookies not deleted On-exit despite the setting

I do not want to leave active logins when the browser is closed. I thought this setting would be that:

Settings > Privacy and Security > Clear browsing data > On exit > Cookies and other site data

Yet I rebooted, opened the browser again and numerous sites, including Gmail, remained logged in. Is this not the correct setting?

@peter77 that should be it. Just have to ask, are you actually exiting Brave? I seem to recall people who had Brave set to continue running in the background with extensions installed. Just simply closing the browser didn’t count as exiting the browser in that situation. I’m not sure if that ever got changed, but it’s one thing for you to check.

And of course if you’re never actually exiting Brave when you reboot, that also could be similar situation.

Good call! I was not exiting gracefully, I was simply rebooting the computer and that was force closing all the open apps. When I tried exiting gracefully, it worked as expected, the cookies were gone. But my desire is to have this happen when not planned. Not only when gracefully closed. Perhaps it should check that setting when starting and delete cookies even if the previous exit wasn’t graceful. But that’s a feature request, I guess, not a bug.

There is Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows and there is also: Forgetful Browsing in the Shields (might have to enable flag) or Sites that clear cookies when you close them brave://settings/cookies which uses Ephemeral Storage in the first party storages.

The thing about shutting down, is that, shutting down might close the browser way too fast for it to work maybe, but that’s not something I can know, when it is a behavior meant to be:

Thank you Emi. I tried some of those settings, some I already had enabled. Still had trouble so I opted for this extension that works well and does what I wanted, even after a hard process kill, it deletes the cookies when starting back up.

Hi Brave Team,

I am experiencing the same behavior - cookies are not being deleted, even though I have Brave set to delete all cookies and site data on exit.

Win 10 Version 10.0.19041.1415

Brave version:

Version 1.57.49 Chromium: 116.0.5845.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)

User-Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

I am a longtime Brave user, and this is the first time I have noticed this. I believe this unexpected behavior must have emerged in a recent release.

I am using Brave as a secondary browser at the moment, so I do not log into sites quite as often with it (it is usually closed, so all sites should be logged out, and that is what I expect - that I need to start up and log in every time when I am using Brave.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.