Brave Browser Not Removing Session Cookies on Exit

Description of the issue:
Brave browser not removing session cookies on exit. A session cookie is a specific type of cookie that is supposed to be removed from the browser when the browser is closed (i.e., the session ends).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Using Brave navigate to google.com, open your cookies window, add a test cookie (its value can be whatever, but its default expiration is ‘session’ and that’s what you want.). To ensure the cookie is set properly do a test google search, then confirm your test cookie remains. After this, close all tabs/windows of Brave, ensure the app is fully shutdown. Then re-open Brave, navigate to google.com and check your cookies tab. The test cookie will still be in the cookies section.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
The session cookie remains after Brave is restarted

Expected result:
Try this same thing in other major browsers and you’ll see they treat the session cookie like a session cookie, it is removed.

Reproduces how often:
Every time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Brave Version 1.47.186 Chromium: 109.0.5414.119 (Official Build) (arm64)

MacOS version 13.2

Additional Information:
To see your cookies look in the devtools section Application then on the left hand side under storage and Cookies then choose the URL. If you look at the columns, the ‘Expires / Max-Age’ column will either specify a future timestamp (when the cookie should be removed) or “Session” (meaning the cookie is a session cookie and be removed on exit).

There was a previous post regarding the same (Browser session doesn't end when you close the browser) and I am totally confused as to why the people who responded didn’t seem to understand the OP’s issue. Maybe this isn’t reproducible on Windows machine and that is where the miscommunication is coming from.

@Mattches could you please help ? Thank you !

@jbcuningham,
I’m looking at this right now — will respond shortly.

Looks like this is in fact a bug. I’ve let our engineers know about this and hope to have more information about a solution soon. I’ll leave this thread open and reply here when I know more.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.