Give option to disable download bubble notifications

The most recent Brave update on Android now features a bubble notification on the screen whenever there is an active or completed file download. There is no option to disable this bubble notification (turning off Android notifications doesn’t work).

This bubble is just annoying and it gets in my way, it blocks the view of the screen and it just slows me down because I have to manually swipe away the bubble notification for each and every completed download. This is absolutely unnecessary as there is already an Android notification of the download so there’s no need for me to see the popup bubble on the screen. The app was already fine the way it was before this bubble notification feature was added, I already had Android notifications for active and completed downloads (now I have to swipe away notifications TWICE, once on the Brave app and again on Android notifications, this is just a big waste of time and energy).

Please add an option to disable bubble notifications (because I can’t see any in the settings). The notification settings in the options is only for Android notifications, not the pop up bubble notifications on the Brave app itself (I tried turning off all notifications and it still shows the notification bubble for downloads).

jonnaharkenson,

Incredibly, it is possible that a recent feature request:

“Pop-up notification that is a progress message like “file started downloading””

might have been incorporated?

I have the latest version of the Brave browser on Android, there is no option that I can find to disable the bubble notification for downloads. Turning off notifications in the Android app settings doesn’t work.

Do any app developers read these posts? Is there anyone at Brave that can look into this and make some changes?

Yes, they do.

Possibly, but there’s a lot of other things to work on.

Did you turn off bubble notifications? I mean, if it’s happening on downloads I’m curious if it’s in Download Manager or if it’s Brave giving you the notification, though you’d think just be Brave. Yet maybe turning them off in general would be worth it?

Sadly, I only have Android 10 at the moment, so I can’t test it and troubleshoot to see what you’re referring to. More or less asking questions and making the suggestion(s) I did so I can get feedback from you and better understand.

In order to test, all you need to do is download something from the Brave browser… such as downloading an image. You will see the “file downloaded” bubble message on the Brave browser screen at the top after it’s complete.

I have completely disabled Android notifications for Brave and the download bubble message still shows, it’s coming from within the Brave app and not Android. It is very unnecessary and annoying, and it slows me down since I download a lot. There are no options in the Brave settings to turn it off.

By the way, here are screenshots of what the bubble message looks like:

Notice at the top, it says “downloading file” and later “download complete”. The message stays on the screen until I swipe it clear or leave the browser window.

Yeah, I get that. What’s weird is the permissions for those bubbles would actually be part of Android. If you have it disabled there, it shouldn’t be showing within the app itself. I’m assuming you checked the links I sent and tested on your own, but haven’t been able to disable it. And since I don’t have the version of Android you’re on, I can’t toy with things myself.

We’ll tag @Serg here as he’s one of the Android developers and he might have better answer. Plus, if it is an issue directly with the browser, maybe they can work on it for the future. I can’t say when or if he’ll check and respond here, as he’s a developer and not a forum support. But we’ll hope we get lucky and happen to catch him for some quick assistance this week.