GIFs and videos only display black screen

Description of the issue:

GIFs and videos do not play properly on most embedded sites. For example, when playing a video on Reddit, after the thumbnail goes away, the loading wheel pops up, goes away, the playtime starts counting seconds and the progress bar advances as normal, but the video is just a black screen. The same thing happens on news sites, or anywhere else that has embedded videos. Playing a video on YouTube directly works just fine. When I turn off hardware acceleration, the problem goes away, but causes the browser to behave so sluggishly that it is unusable.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to Reddit.com
  2. Find a GIF or video (ex: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ej4d26/shronk/ )
  3. Click Play

Expected result:

Video would play and display normally

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.1.20 Chromium: 79.0.3945.74 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

1. I am using Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
  2. Problem goes away if hardware acceleration is turned off
  3. This happens every time ever since a few months ago

Bumping this for help. This has been going on for months now.

@Napster,
Given that you have Windows 7 – I believe your solution is to disable Hardware Acceleration.

As I mentioned multiple times in my original post, disabling hardware acceleration makes the symptom go away but causes the browser to be so sluggish that it is unusable. The only solution to the bug cant be “Using Windows 7? Stop using Brave”

@Napster,
Can you try creating a new browsing profile and see if you get the same results when trying to view gif/videos in it?

Menu --> Create a New Profile

@Mattches, thanks for helping me try to find a fix for this bug. I appreciate it.

Creating a new browser profile did not fix the problem. I cant see GIFs or videos with hardware acceleration on whether I am in my normal profile, a new profile, in a private window, with shields up, or shields down.

Is this a common problem?

@Napster,
Yes, this is a fairly common problem – it’s also common in Chromium in general. I believe that the issue may require a larger adjustment upstream. You may also want to read our wiki on GPU issues.

@Mattches and anyone reading this in the future:

My problem is solved. I am now able to view videos and GIFs while having hardware acceleration enabled.

The solution: Updating video driver.
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E560 running Windows 7. My graphics card is an AMD R7 M370. I went to AMD’s website, searched for my GPU, and downloaded the most recent stable version of the driver for my card and OS. After the install and a few reboots, the original symptoms have disappeared. I am very glad it is back to normal. Thanks for linking that Wiki!

1 Like

@Napster,
You’re very welcome! I’m glad you got it sorted out! :slight_smile: