Error messages on Amazon product pages

Description of the issue:
On some Amazon product pages an error message is displayed in the are of the product pictures. Product pictures overlay the message so that it is only partly visible, depending on the picture dimensions.

The error message says:
“This page contains the following errors:
error on line 6 at column 118: Extra content at the end of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error”

If this error occurs, most of the page is displayed correctly. However, some functions are not available, like adding an item to a wishlist. Putting the article into the shopping cart and buying works.

I have the impression this only occurs on pages, that contain product videos.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
Yes, I have default shield setting applied. Deactivating shields does not make a difference.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Brave version (check About Brave):

1 Like

@KaiNie I just tested your link and a lot of other Amazon listings. I’m unable to see this issue on any of them. Could you do a favor and advise of the following:

  • Which OS are you using? (such as Windows 11, Android 12, iOS 17.1)

  • Do you have any extensions installed?

  • Does it still happen in a private window?

  • Does it happen in a new browser profile with default settings?

  • When you do see this issue occur, does it show up every time you go to that link/product or is it random?

1 Like

@Saoiray : Thanks for the hint with the extensions.
I also had the idea that an extension might cause this error and deactivated most of them, but two. I never expected a VPN extension to cause this.
It was the Surfshark extension. Once deactivated the error disappears, activating brings back the error.


Yeah, it’s amazing how any random extension can cause problems. A lot of times people assume there’s no way a particular extension is the cause, but it can shock you. Just like on the YouTube adblocker issue, people were saying they had nothing but then later was like, "Oh, it was Enhancer for YouTube extension. :man_facepalming:

Even have had extensions for like Dungeons & Dragons and all in the browsers that interfered with things like Amazon. Code just gets jumbled and you get the craziest little things that occur.

YES!! This has been bothering me for a week or two on Amazon’s pages. As soon as I removed the SurfShark extension it was fixed. Thank you so much!!

Maybe if it helps, I got the same error with Surfshark VPN extension, the fix was simple for me, I removed the one from Chrome store and installed the one from Microsoft edge store. The VPN is working fine and there are no more weird bugs, I also reported it, so hopefully they will fix it soon.

It’s the ad blocker feature in the Surfshark extension. If you open the extension, go to Settings, CleanWeb Settings and turn off Ad Blocker, that fixed the issue for me. I’m not sure if there’s a way to white list certain elements to keep the ad block active, but not block anything on Amazon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.