DuckDuckGo maps don't display

Description of the issue:
Can’t display maps in duckduckgo

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary)
1 Set DuckDuckGo as default search engine (I’m using Win10)
2. Put “los angeles ca map” in the search bar
3. Map appears
4. Click ‘open map’ on resulting screen. (Note: In the bottom right it says Bing Maps, which I think is the default setting.)

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Map pointer displays in middle of the screen but you see no map details. It’s just a blank background. Hitting + or - moves the pointer but again the map does not display.

Expected result:
Should see the map and be able to resize it.

Reproduces how often:
Every time, no matter what location I search on.

Brave Version(about:brave):
Core (this occurred in Muon as well). No problems with it in Chrome.

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Additional Information:

Hi @joshi,
Thanks for reporting.

Can you try again and while you’re on it, click Brave icon at URL bar, and share your Shields setting for DDG?

See if Brave block things. You may want to check with “Allow device recognition” or “Allow all cookies”.


I disabled shields and the problem remains. I also allowed all cookies and that didn’t solve the problem either. I don’t know how to set device recognition, so you’ll have to explain how to do that.

Can you duplicate this problem? It’s an easy one to test.

Brave dispalys map, for me, on bing .com. With Shield on, a few js allowed with scriptsafe, so


I can get the maps to display when going to However, they do not work when I go to DuckDuckGo using the specific steps mentioned in my post. You need to use duckduckgo as your search engine to duplicate.

Yes, duckduckgo but I’m redirected to bing automatically, maybe cause I’m in france, I don’t know.

By allowing fingerprint from duckduckgo, I’m able to have map


I’m unable to reproduce the issue. It show correctly on my Win 8.1. With default Shields settings. “Device recognition” is on orange box. cc @Mattches for additional test.

I figured out the problem. It’s not specific to Brave (occurs in other browsers) and I verified that it was caused by a filtering app called Covenant Eyes. You can close this issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.