Disable Tab Discard/Hibernation

The issue is tabs are discarded when they shouldn’t be

1. Open tab with time sensitive functions: web/live chat, calendar, music, etc.
  2. go to another tab (or another application) for a while
  3. Tab with running events/chats/timers (anything ongoing) stops working.

Expected result:
For things to continue functioning - to be able to set a tab to never hibernate/discard permanently

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.39.111-3 Chromium: 102.0.5005.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)
This isn’t tied to the version per-say it’s a persistent issue.

Additional Information:
If I open and keep devtools open everything works but if you close the dev tools tabs go back to the same behavior and the discard system causes notifications to stop.

I also know that if I go to the brave://discards I can toggle things but that is not permanent and constantly resets.

1 Like

I have never tried this so cannot ‘recommend’ it but maybe something like this would work? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/no-tabs-auto-discard/ndpjhokgnpdcldkklhhklkgabnjehfap

1 Like

Sadly no, I’ve been testing the “Disable automatic tab discarding” extension which I dislike in general because most extensions are sketchy. (Though I did look at its source code before installing.) However even with all tabs set to not discard (which isn’t really what I wanted) it still kills audio notifications once a tab has been idle for long enough.

This also brings about the question “what’s different?” where in the extension that disables tab discards doesn’t actually work but leaving the dev tools open does.

*Scratch that: Opened the dev tools but stuck them on another workspace and viola, same same. Then because it’s behind by the time you switch and reactivate the tab there are like 40 sounds stacked up waiting to be a distorted mess. So dev tools worked but only if it remains in focus.

Well I’m fed up. I know Brave is at the mercy of Google for most engine stuff but lately it just feels like too much is broken or just unusable. Leaving Brave for a non-google-engine-backend browser. Hell even palemoon works better for a lot of things.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.