How to disable auto discard/reload tab?

Description of the issue:
When returning to a tab I haven’t looked at in a while (hours? days?), Brave takes it upon itself to discard and reload the tab.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open some tabs
  2. Ignore them for a while
  3. Go back to them

Expected result:
See the content as it was when I left instead of refreshing (if that’s what I want, I know where the button is)

Brave Version( check About Brave):
[Version 1.11.104 Chromium: 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
on both Mac and Windows

Additional Information:
This is probably Chromium behavior, but regardless, I’d like to know how to stop it. I have several tabs open on sites where I’ve stopped part way down a long page, and every time this happens I have to start from the top again and try to find where I left off.

What’s worse, sometimes the tab discards, but dones’t reload, and I’m stuck looking at a blank page, and have to reload manually.

@100WattWalrus,
So it appears that this is no longer possible – there was a flag that you could configure that would enable/disable this functionality, but it seems to have been removed from the Chromium backend:

1 Like

I didn’t find this Automatic tab discarding flag in brave://flags, is that mean we should continue with this auto reload?

Thanks for the info @Mattches. That’s a really crappy thing for Chromium to do. It takes so much time out of my day waiting for tabs to reload that I didn’t want to reload, then having to scroll through them to where I left off (often re-rendering as I scroll).

1 Like