Disable session restore after crash

When my desktop crashes or if I kill a Brave instance, the next start offers to restore the session and I have to dismiss the dialog.

I never want to restore a session so I want to disable this feature but I don’t see how to do that.

How do I do this?

It’s in the first section of the Settings, though it’s not named in a way to catch the eye. You get there using the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines stacked) in the upper right corner of the browser window and selecting Settings, or by typing brave://settings into the address bar and hitting Enter.

In the “On startup” section, instead of telling it to “Continue where you left off,” tell it to “Open the New Tab page” or “Open a specific page or set of pages.”

Yes, I have that checked.

Behavior is different after a crash or external shutdown – at least in Version 1.2.42 Chromium: 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) running on Ubuntu 19.10. This is the same annoyance we have with Chrome and Chromium on Linux, and that users on other systems report as well. There are various bizarre hacks to prevent it but none are really workable long term.

The Chromium line is the only browser that insists on trying to restore all tabs after a crash – which is a questionable default given that one of those tabs may have been the cause of the crash in the first place.

This plus the sync problems just about sinks this browser for me. Too bad because there is so much to like about it.

I

1 Like

Oh, I apologize for not catching that distinction. That behavior from Chromium-based browsers is annoying. I don’t know of any setting in Brave that turns it off. @Mattches, is there a magic switch we can throw for this?

As far as workarounds, the only thing that seems to have worked in Chromium-verse is to change the recorded exit state after a crash and before restarting the browser. I haven’t tried it, so I have no idea how viable it is in Brave. This is discussed in the context of kiosk mode here and here. I also found someone used node.js to do it.

I know plenty of people lose their s**t when a crash loses their tabs and such, but like you I’d rather not have them all reloaded if one of them caused a crash. Seems a better option would be to create a list of the URLs and let one have the option. Something like that is already in Chromium via the bookmark all tabs feature.

1 Like

@stephenboston,
Perhaps I’m confused – you’re simply saying that you don’t want the browser to restore the tabs automatically after a crash, or are you trying to make it so that the pop-up prompt asking if you want to restore them goes away?

I understand why you ask. The question is not clear on that point. I don’t want it to be automatic and I don’t want to be prompted. I want a setting that disables session.restore in any context.

@stephenboston,
Sorry for the late reply. At this time there is no way to do that in Brave, but I will keep an eye out for any flags that may be implemented in the future.

I am hoping for this feature/switch as well. In my scenario I’m running Brave to show signage on TV screens (think of it as non-interactive kiosk mode). When an Ubuntu device running Brave unexpectedly shutdowns, the next time the device boots; it will show that prompt.
So I’d be super helpful to have for example a command line switch or setting.

Thanks!
Jan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.