Deletion of bookmark icons and return of removed bookmarks after using Tor

I have noticed that after using a Tor window my bookmarks lose all of their icons and bookmarks that have been removed are reappearing when I return to the regular window after exit. Also, every time I use Tor, when I reopen Brave in regular mode, it says that Brave did not shut down correctly and asks if I want to restore. When I click restore, it just changes the picture, nothing else happens. These are the two bugs I have noticed when using Tor.

@oldngray,
Can you tell me what Brave version you’re using as well as your Operating System?

Version 1.1.23 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

My operating system is Windows 7

@oldngray,
Apologies for the late response – would you be able to share a short screen recording of the behavior as it appears on your end? Would help to see the behavior and get a handle on what exactly you’re describing.

Additionally, can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration and seeing if that makes a difference?

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Hi. I have same issue with Brave and Tor window, using Win10. Disabling hardware acceleration didn’t help.

This seems like it may be a Win7 issue. When testing, I launched (on my Win 10 system) Brave, then opened a tor window. I visited a few sites, then closed the tor window and launched another standard window.

• The window appeared as intended
  • There was no “Restore pages” modal
  • My bookmarks were unaffected

Could you try creating a new browser profile and seeing if you can reproduce the issue on the fresh profile?

I used only one profile in my brave, so I created new one and there is no problem with it. How can I fix my main profile?

@fc187rock,
That’s a great question. I’m wondering if maybe you need to clear your browsing data/cache? May shake something loose.

Clearing cache helps only while no site is opened in brave. After any page opened in brave, problem is relevant again. The problem appears only when the tor window closes. When brave restarts after that, the effect of it becomes noticeable. If I keep tor window opened for several days - restarting brave don’t make a problem. My case: visit any page by brave - open tor - close tor - bang, problem is here, to see it just restart brave. Issue isn’t reproducing on another profile.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.