Corrupt Profile with Chromium 80

Description of the issue:
After rebooting my PC (and it looks like Brave updated from Chromium v. 79 to 80), Brave Browser is crashing every time I open my second profile. The first/Default profile works just fine. It seems like the second profile is somehow corrupt. It opens, asks me if I want to restore my tabs, and then immediately crashes.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch brave with “Profile 1” (either by launching the Default profile first and then switching, or by launching directly to Profile 1 via adding the flag to a shortcut on the desktop.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Brave launches, Brave doesn’t crash, I can use Brave as normal.

Reproduces how often:
100% of the time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Pro, Brave 1.3.113

Additional Information:
If you can just tell me how to access my list of tabs I had open, and my bookmarks, then I’d be just fine with creating a new profile and importing that information.

I was trying to figure out ways to get my profile to open. Somehow, I ended up erasing all of my current tabs, and so the browser opened. There’s no history of those tabs now, so I’m trying to go through my history to figure out where I had left off. Thankfully, my bookmarks and history are still here!

Anyhow, I no longer need help getting to my recent tabs, since they’re gone. This is now more of just a bug report about this issue. It only happened with one profile, not the other that also had tabs open. I can’t say what tab, or what else, was causing the issue for that one profile.

Maybe it was the sync issue you mentioned, since it seems you disabled sync last night. I am not syncing my Default profile, but I am syncing Profile 1.

@thequestess,
It very well may be the Sync issue, but the way you described it made it seem like the issue was related to either one of the tabs (sites) you had open or some bad cache data some site stored on your secondary profile.

With the Sync issue, the browser tends to crash almost immediately, before even asking if you’d like to restore your previous tabs. But I suppose there is still a chance that that was the issue. I’m going to leave this thread open for a while so if you encounter this again, please reply here and we can dig in further.

Thanks for reporting! :slight_smile:

Yes, it was crashing immediately. It would pop up to ask about restoring tabs, but I didn’t even have time to click on that. It was crashing within 1 second of opening.

Today it opened ok, but didn’t ask to restore tabs, and didn’t have the “recently closed” folder in my history.

1 Like

@thequestess,
So just to confirm, the browser isn’t crashing anymore?

@Mattches that’s correct

@thequestess,
That’s excellent to hear. Please let me know if you encounter this or any other issue.