Browser is basically non-functional, rife with instability. Just started 1 month ago

I’ve been using Brave for about a year, but this started about 1 month ago. Every time I open a new website, there’s a high chance of crashing. Open the browser and restore previous tabs? 1/3 of them crash. All extensions crash on startup (only extensions are Adobe Acrobat and BitWarden).

If I type anything into the address bar and hit enter, it’ll usually just clear the address bar without doing anything. Click a link? 60% chance the tab doesn’t load. It loads? 50% chance it crashes. I also get an error popup about “chrome_elf.dll” every time I click or close an ad.

Tried uninstalling all extensions, running without hardware acceleration, making a new profile, and totally uninstalling and reinstalling with no benefit. Am I really the only person dealing with massive instability?

Running on up to date Windows 10 with all drivers up to date. No other browsers are unstable, but I’d rather use Brave.

I just tried backing up my profile and uninstalling/removing user data. The browser worked fine after reinstall. I then restored my profile from backup, which worked, but all of the problems returned. I assume there is something wrong with my profile.

How do I go about “repairing” a corrupt profile? My wallet is tied to Uphold, so I don’t think I’m at risk of losing it.

Take this with benefit of doubt, I’m no expert.

I’d try making a new profile and seeing if you still get problems with that one.

Assuming you have extension installed (how do I know):

If the new profile is free from sin, try disabling all extensions in the “corrupt” profile and see if that fixes it.

If that works, that means it was some extension.
Try enabling them one by one until it breaks again and you’ll know the guilty one to get rid of.
Done.

If that doesn’t make it, you could export bookmarks and passwords from the “corrupt” profile (if possible, I don’t know how serious instability you get) and import them in the new one.
Also write down the login usernames and passwords somewhere, better safe than sorry.

Make sure any pending transaction to Uphold is completed and that you get the right balance there before getting rid of the old one. And keep the backup for a while just in case.

The above should be safer than the reinstall and restore you already did anyway.

Interestingly, I just ran the Windows system file checker and everything seems to be in working order.

@Littlegator,
So is the browser working now or are you still seeing the same issues?

I’ve been using it for about an hour now without a single issue.

Right before I ran the file checker, I couldn’t even open the profile manager, and I had to reload any tab about 5 or 6 times to get any page to load.

1 Like

@Littlegator,
Thank you for the update.
Please let me know if any of the issues persist – I’ll leave this thread open for the time being.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.