Brave not deleting cookies on exit

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I have "Settings > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data > Sites that clear cookies when you close them " set to include, for example, wellsfargo.com
  2. After visiting that then close it, exit Brave, then re-open Brave, the cookie is still there
  3. In fact, I’ve noticed all cookies are retained between closing and re-opening Brave.

Expected result:
Brave used to delete every cookie except the ones listed under “Settings > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data > Sites that can always use cookies” but not any more
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.58.137 Chromium: 117.0.5938.153 (Official Build) (arm64)
Additional Information:
mac M2 Mini running Ventura 13.6

@Fellwalker57 are you leaving any tabs open? Do you have Brave set to run in the background?

Part of where people kind of confuse things is that closing the browser does not necessarily mean exiting the browser. Such as when I added Twitter to the list, it kept me logged in even when I closed everything. But if I exited Brave, such as you see the option I had on the screeenshot above, it would clear cookies.

Tabs closed, browser exited, not running in the background – problem still happens.

Ok. I know this has been discussed before in different ways. I’ll tag @Mattches in on it so he can try to take another look.

@Fellwalker57,
To be clear, since you’re on macOS, are you quitting the application, or just closing the application via clicking the x on the top-left of the window?

Generally I use Cmd Q on the keyboard or Brave > Quit Brave with the mouse.

I think I found the problem. “Settings > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data > Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows” was not checked. Checking this appears to do the trick – the cookies I want remain after closing Brave and the cookies I don’t want go away.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.