Component Update Error and Extension Installation Issues

When attempting to update components at brave://components, it shows “update error” and all versions are listed as 0.0.0.0. Additionally, Brave Shield is not functioning.

Additionally, it is not possible to install extensions. When trying to install an extension, the installation is canceled with a message saying “Check your internet connection.”

This issue does not occur in Chrome, and I have also tried reinstalling the Brave browser several times.

Please help.

Note: I used a translation tool to convert this message into English.

1 Like

@hamy what version of Windows are you using? And which version of Brave is installed? Can you try to launch launch Brave by using Run as administrator?

Just so you know, is an open Github on this at the link below:

2 Likes

Windows 10
Brave version 1.68.141
Brave Beta version 1.70.85 (it has same problem)
I’ve tried run as administrator both of them but nothing different

i found that brave nightly(v 1.71.16) works without any problem

@hamy, glad to hear it’s working fine on Nightly! It’s odd that you’re still facing the same issue on the Release and Beta versions of Brave. Usually, this problem is related to permissions on your device, where the components folder might require admin access for some reason, so opening Brave normally doesn’t work.

I know you’ve reinstalled Brave multiple times, but I’d like you to try a couple of things:

1. Create a second browser profile.
  2. Reinstall Brave on top of your existing installation by going to https://brave.com/download/. Don’t uninstall Brave—just install it over the current version. This can sometimes fix any file errors.

If these steps don’t help, you might need to completely remove Brave and reinstall it. Before doing that, make sure to export your passwords and bookmarks. When you uninstall Brave, choose the option to delete all data. This will remove any remaining Brave-related files. After reinstalling Brave, test to see if the issue is resolved. You can then import your data back into the browser.

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you for your help. But neither method solved the problem.

I’ve already tried reinstalling brave browser several times, but the same problem occurred every time.

Could you please let me know if there are any files that retain information other than the User\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser folder when deleting the browser?

Below is my component situation.

Components

Components (16)
Brave Local Data Updater - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
NTP Background Images - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Brave Ads Resources (KR) - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
PKI Metadata - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Crowd Deny - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Certificate Error Assistant - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Brave Ad Block List Catalog - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
NTP Super Referral mapping table - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
CRLSet - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
NTP Sponsored Images (KR) - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Hyphenation - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Third-Party Cookie Deprecation Metadata - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
Safety Tips - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
File Type Policies - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error
MEI Preload - Version: 1.0.7.1652906823
Status - Update error
Brave Ad Block Resources Library - Version: 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error

When I installed Brave Browser on another computer, I found that the number of components was 21, but I found only 17 components and an update error occurred for all of them.

Thank you for your help.