"Clear cookies and site data when you quit Brave" deactivates itself

Brave Version 0.68.138
Windows 1903

I select “Clear cookies and site data when you quit Brave” but the setting does not save. I close the browser, reopen it and the checkbox is now deactivated.

Welcome back @multiforme,

Can you try update your Brave to the latest version first? In case it can solve your issue – since I’m not able to reproduce the issue on my end using the latest version.

Hello, I am on the latest version

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I am seeing it on 2 different machines, running on the latest version (both on Windows 10)

1 Like

Yes, I have the same problem. Using last update on win 10 as well: Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
It used to work fine (not sure before which update), but now not even running Brave as a private window clears out cookies when closed.

Same issue here on Windows 10. Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same issue on Ubuntu 18.04, Version 0.69.132. This is a show stopper for me. I guess I am moving back to Chromium till it is fixed

On Windows, same problem. Particularly irritating when using ebay.

Started after latest update to brave.

If not fixed, will not be able to continue use.

Same issue here! Tested on Win7Ult-64bit & Win10-64bit.

Brave Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Bummer- hopefully this gets fixed in the next release.

cc @Mattches @sriram for additional test. Still unable to reproduce on my end – win10, Brave 0.69.x.

Could you guys do this test

1. Visit 10 sites different ones
  2. Set clear data on exit
  3. Open a new tab and close all other 10 tabs that are open
  4. Check how many sites are shown under clear data on exit
  5. Close and relaunch the browser and check if you see data from the previous session

Make sure you have a session working before clearing the data and relaunching. If you are still logged in after relaunch then its a bug

FYI, I’m using cookies autodelete add on. With this i can also add exceptions.

@sriram,
I think the issue is that the Clear on exit function also clears the boxes checked in the Clear on exit window. So after items clear appropriately, but upon relaunch, the browser will no longer have the data options to be cleared checked.

I am not seeing this behaviour on Linux. Clear on exit shouldn’t uncheck the settings. That’s a bug. @Mattches if you are able to reproduce the issue please log an issue for this.

Just got a new update (Version 0.69.135) on Ubuntu. The problem is still there

@ehsjoar,
Can you tell me which boxes you have checked in the [On Exit] window when you see this behavior?

“Clear cookies and site data when you quit Brave”

Then when I quit the browser and start it up again “Clear cookies and site data when you quit Brave” is again unchecked.

@ehsjoar,
Thanks – that’s a key component here. Instead of using that toggle, can you try checking the cookies/site data (and/or any other items you’d like) boxes off in Settings --> History --> Clear Browsing Data --> On Exit instead?

Leave the Clear cookies and site data when you quit Brave toggle “off” when you do this. After checking them, quit the browser and relaunch to confirm that the data you checked to be cleared is in fact cleared. If so, does this method work for you rather than the toggle you’re reporting about?

1 Like