Casting not working (Google Cast)

I have noticed that the casting function is not working properly. Brave does not detect my connected devices while Chrome and Vivaldi detect it without any problems.

Thanks

Version 0.60.45 Chromium: 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@MVC,
Thanks for reaching out. Please remember to provide as much relevant data as possible when submitting support requests.

The issue youā€™re encountering with casting has to do with flags that are disabled by default in Brave. Setting them appropriately allows casting functionality. We have an open issue on our Github to include this functionality in Brave as an option in settings:

In the GH thread linked above, Iā€™ve provided steps to enable casting in Brave. Quoting that comment (and myself!):

For anyone following or curious about Chromecast support in Brave, some notes and things to remember based on my personal experience/testing:

1. In order to enable (or attempt to) Chromecast, you must set both the following flags (brave://flags):

• #load-media-router-component-extension - Set to Enabled
  • #Views-cast-dialog - Set to Disabled. I apologize for my above comments about enabling this. I believe this may be the case for some users (that they have to enable this) but for others it may have the opposite effect - I just encountered this myself on my machine. I for sure know that leaving this at Default will not allow you to cast.
  1. You may want to try rebooting your system after changing the flags. Iā€™ve had a couple users report that they were unable to cast but later confirmed that it started working after reboot.
  2. For those of you asking if this is a bug or if thereā€™s a ā€œfixā€ for this - the answer is no. This is not actually a ā€œBraveā€ feature, but is a feature of the chromium engine. Since we havenā€™t implemented, it subsequently has not been tested - meaning that there may be issues with it that arenā€™t addressed because weā€™re not currently ā€œsupportingā€ it (from a dev standpoint) at this time. What you are essentially doing is toggling on two settings (flags) in the engine that (ideally) allow Brave to cast.
  3. Relevant information - If youā€™d like to help us look into this, if youā€™re unable to cast (or you were successfully able to but still found yourself here), please provide as much info as possible and - more importantly - Iā€™d like to know:
  • What video source are you attempting to casting from? (YouTube, Hulu, built in menu cast button, etc)
  • What Chromecast device are you attempting to casting to? (Proprietary Chromecast ā€œUSB/Stickā€, Chromecast enabled device like a smart tv, etc)

Iā€™m able to view my available devices and cast media from any (applicable) source to my Chromecast enabled device in all Brave builds, using both macOS and Windows 10 Operating Systems:

Please note that, as stated, this feature is not ā€œofficiallyā€ supported and has not been tested to any real capacity. As such, errors may occur when using the function and some users (even after following the appropriate steps) have been unable to initiate casting at all.

Let me know if you have any further questions or would like assistance if any of the above steps are unclear.

Edit: In the event youā€™re unaware of the flags page/options - you can get there by typing/searching brave://flags in the address bar.

1 Like

The flags configuration does work and I can cast as I usual do!!

1 Like

Excellent news!
@MVC, did you ever get this working on your end?

I am sorry for my late response, but it worked.
Thanks for the step by step instructions!
What should I use the next time as browser information? You talked about ā€˜as much data as possibleā€™ but what is this exactly? Is this the browser version (update) information?

1 Like