Can't remove top sites

Description of the issue: Cannot remove top sites from new tab page.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Click the “x” button on a new tab’s top site.
  2. Notice that it’s gone
  3. Refresh the page or open another new tab page, it comes back

Expected result: The site’s icon shouldn’t appear again when the page is reopened/refreshed.

Brave Version( check About Brave): 1.16.68

Additional Information: No extra information, just giving my thanks :slight_smile:

Windows 10?
If yes, navigate to

C:\Users\ “name of the user account” \AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default

In that sub-directory, there is a file named “Top Sites” - it’s a SQLIte database file. Ensure there’s no permissions issue …

Right-click on the file (need to quit Brave first) and select Properties.
On the General tab, ensure “Read only” is not checked.

Select the Security tab and for your user account, ensure Full Control, Modify, Read & execute, Read, and Write are checked for Allow column.

And double-check “who” owns the file … for example, if it’s “Administrator”, and you’re logged in not as Administrator (shouldn’t be!), that may be the issue.

I looked through everything you said to, it all looks like you said it should but I’m still having the problem… (Also, yes I’m running Windows 10!)

If there’s any more information I can provide that might help, please let me know!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.