Can't block autoplay on soundcloud

Description of the issue:
I can’t set autoplay to Block for soundcloud.com

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Currently, Block is the default behavior for Autoplay. https://soundcloud.com:443 is also in my list of websites that are in the specifically blocked category. I just opened a soundcloud page and it started playing music automatically. I went to the site settings for soundcloud and am unable to set autoplay to Block.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
When I click the Block option in the dropdown, it selects Allow instead. When I click the Block (default) option in the dropdown, it changes it to Allow (default).

Expected result:
It should block autoplay.

Reproduces how often:
100% of the time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 8.1, Brave 0.63.55

Additional Information:

This continues to happen after soundcloud is removed from the exclusion list. Can somebody please take a look at this.

@Zook,
I’ve seen this behavior in previous releases but was under the impression it was resolved. I can reproduce this on macOS and Windows 10 systems – that said, it’s not quite the same.

In my case, I do see where clicking Lock icon --> Site Settings --> Autoplay switching itself back to Allow after selecting Block:

However, returning to the soundcloud shows that a change was made in permissions just as if it had worked as intended:

Reloading the page, I observe that Autoplay is blocked on page and is also reflected in Site Settings:

It almost seems like it’s a cosmetic issue (on my end). Did you get the notification to reload the page after setting Autoplay to Block? Additionally, are there any other sites in which Autoplay doesn’t work?

Thanks for the reply @Mattches.

The more I test this bug, the weirder it gets.

The cosmetic part of the issue seems mostly confined to the page at brave://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com. On soundcloud.com I see one of the following:

If the default is selected (which still shows as Allow (default) on the settings page), it doesn’t appear in the dropdown on soundcloud. On the settings page, if I have selected Block, but the option shows Allow, selecting Allow has no effect, I have to switch to default and then to Allow to make it take effect. Additionally, If I select Default or Block, the change is reflected immediately on the soundcloud dropdown, but if I select Allow, the change is not reflected until I refresh soundcloud. (Actually, after more testing, now it is reflected immediately, I don’t know what caused the change.) I do see the prompt to refresh the page for changes to take effect.

If the option is shown in the dropdown on soundcloud, which only happens if it is not the default, then I can modify it in the dropdown and it appears to be acting normally, however if I set it to default and then refresh the page, the option is gone from the dropdown.

Another quirk: If I have it set to default (which should be Block, but shows as Allow), and then either load or refresh brave://settings/content/autoplay, the dropdown on brave://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com immediately switches from Allow (default) to Block (default).

Under no circumstances is the setting respected on soundcloud, although I have noticed a variable: If I only have one soundcloud tab open, it always autoplays. If I have more than one soundcloud tab open, it never autoplays. Also, pressing play on one soundcloud tab pauses any other soundcloud tabs. It appears that soundcloud is somehow managing its own autoplay setting.

This issue does not happen with every site, however I have just confirmed the same behavior on pandora.com. Some sites seem to be able to override my browser settings.

1 Like

@Zook,
Excellent detective work! That is a ton of information to unpack and every bit is valuable. Really appreciate the thoroughness of your report.

At this juncture – I have no idea why this is happening. The part about 1 SC tab vs multiple SC tabs is particularly interesting. I’ll be digging further into this with the team and will likely file an issue for this official on our Github page. I’ll be sure to come back to this thread and link you to the issue should one be created or if new information comes to light.

I’ll leave this topic open for now in the event that you discover some new findings.

Thanks so much @Mattches.

One thing I didn’t mention before: The first time I opened a soundcloud tab while testing this today, it did not autoplay. On every refresh after that, it did, so I dismissed it, but maybe it’s relevant. I thought maybe clearing cookies would restore that behavior, but it did not.

(An unrelated feature request while I’ve got you here: in the settings menu it would be nice to leave the advanced section expanded so I don’t have to click it every time.)

Also, the bit about selecting Allow being reflected immediately seemed to start happening after I opened the second SC tab, but now it consistently happens no matter how many tabs are open.

Same behavior on netflix.com

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.