I’ve been running Brave browser on a PC (Win7) for years, but never set up a wallet. Long ago, I did begin to set up an Uphold wallet, but balked when it demanded something (photo ID, perhaps? Long time ago, so I don’t recall exactly). So I never finished verifying that Uphold wallet.
Now when I finally try to set that up, it is not possible. The situation is confusing. My guess at the most salient points are:
(1) There is no triangle BAT symbol in the URL bar, which all the Brave help text says there should be.
(2) I can get to Brave Rewards page by MainMenu->BraveRewards. The display shows “Disconnected” in the top-left corner and at bottom “Your Brave wallet is powered by Uphold (verify)”.
(3) If I click on the “verify” link, it fails. The browser opens to URL “wallet.uphold.com/authorize…” and I can login and click on the “Authorize” button. HOWEVER, that only presents an error dialog that says,
“You need a verified wallet to Login /
You need a minimum of 15 BAT to create an Uphold wallet. Please try again after you have verified your wallet with Uphold.”
(4) If I click on “Disconnected” I get the exact same behavior as clicking on “verify” (see #3 above).
I am thus stuck, with no way to move forward.
(5) There is apparently no “update” command to get a newer version of Brave.
Indeed, I’m not sure how old my version is. “About Brave” yields this text:
Nearly up to date! Relaunch Brave to finish updating. Private windows won’t reopen.
I did download a new version of Brave, but canceled the install for fear that it would wipe out my locally-stored BAT. Perhaps this is the origin of the above introductory “Nearly up to date!” ???
How can I get Brave Rewards running properly? How can I verify Uphold (or use a different wallet)? Will installing a newly-downloaded version of Brave wipe out my earned BAT, which I gather is only stored locally, so far?
Thanks in advance for any help!