I just made the most recent version of Brave crash by pulling a bookmark from the bookmark manager above the window of Brave by accident.
Bug: Brave crashes when pulling a bookmark quickly from the bookmark manager above the window of Brave when the window is snapped to the top
Please repost or edit this post to reflect the template and guidelines and we’d be more than happy to assist you.
Guidelines - Before posting, please:
- Search the forum to see if anyone else has already posted or resolved the issue you came to ask about.
- Fill out the template that appears in your editor when posting as it contains all the boiler-plate information surrounding your issue. It will help the Support team members and other Community members to efficiently assess and resolve your issue.
- Provide essential info such as your version number and OS, to help Support and other Community members resolve your issue.
- Ensure that you’re posting in the appropriate category
- Tag your post appropriately – note that some tags are restricted to or from specific categories.
- Observe and adhere to our code of conduct
OK, here is the description of the issue according to the template:
Steps to Reproduce:
Pull a bookmark from the bookmark manager above the window of Brave:
Stop the mouse cursor from moving above the window, i.e. move the bookmark to the top of the bookmarks in the folder and then stop the mouse cursor.
Reproduces how often:
Every time (see recording and screenshot above or below)
Version 1.47.186 Chromium: 109.0.5414.119 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Thank you for reposting — it is important that we know as much information as possible up front to provide the best support.
I know that you said you don’t want to crash your browser again, but can you please try and reproduce the behavior for me to confirm that it was not just at one-off situation and/or that it doesn’t require more a specific action to produce the crash?
On my end, when testing on macOS and Windows 10 systems, I was unable to produce the crash (macOS example shown below but behavior is the same on both OS):
Brave also does not crash on my Windows 10 computer when its window is not snapped to the top. Brave only crashes when its window is snapped to the top (I just noticed this detail myself when testing it).
I made a recording for you that demonstrates it (note that I pull up the bookmark very quickly):
Here you can see that it in fact crashed when the window disappeared in the end:
This is my Windows version (no, I am not going to update now):
I hope that helps you identify the issue.
P.S.: I also updated my original bug report that uses the template and the title of this topic based on this information.
Thank you for the update. I still am unable to reproduce the issue, even with the Window snapped to the top or anywhere else for that matter. Can you tell me what extensions you have installed at this time?
I’m wondering if you would try disabling them temporarily and test to see if you get the same behavior. It may also be useful to test the behavior in a new profile.