Bug: Brave crashes when trying to create a shortcut by dragging the URL by the icon to Windows Explorer

Description of the issue:

The current version (“Version 1.48.171 Chromium: 110.0.5481.177 (Official Build) (64-bit)”) of Brave crashes when trying to create a shortcut by dragging the URL to Windows Explorer on Windows 10, which I always used to do / works in Google Chrome.

How can this issue be reproduced?

Grab the icon “View site information” next to the URL and drag it over to a window of Windows Explorer and watch Brave crash.

Expected result:

Brave not crashing.

Brave Version:

“Version 1.48.171 Chromium: 110.0.5481.177 (Official Build) (64-bit)”

1 Like

@HK-on-B please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue.

You’ll find this in brave://settings/system > Use hardware acceleration when available > toggle off > relaunch Brave.

Be waiting for your response.

I am having the same issue. It also appears when highlighting text and trying to drag to the url/search bar. (Also noticed when trying to drag files in to a “Drag and Drop” upload field.)

Same brave version, only difference is I’m on MacOS

(I tried disabling HW Acceleration, but it still occurs)

1 Like

@youvegotdon thanks for your report. Do you have any extensions installed on Brave? If that’s the case, try disabling them to see if Brave no longer crashes.

@HK-on-B are you still experiencing this same issue or it no longer appears? Please let me know.

Regards.

I also experience this bug and I can reproduce it consistently - I haven’t switched off hardware acceleration. The only extension I have installed is the 1Password extension.

A workaround for me is to right click the bookmarks bar and add the page without dragging from the address bar.

1 Like

Please try disable both of them to see if Brave no longer crashes or if it persist.

Please let me know.

@Kevin_cc The crash still occurs with hardware acceleration disabled and no extensions installed, unfortunately.

1 Like

@QNimbus on that case, please go to main menu > create a new profile and try creating a new shortcut on that profile to see if the crash persist,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.