Browser window jumps to next display when closing a tab

Description of the issue:
When closing a tab via middle click, the browser jumps to my second display, if I do it again it jumps to the third.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
open tab. middle click to close.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
not doing that.

Reproduces how often:
every single time I close a tab with middle click

Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.57.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
yes

Additional Information:
I found one other topic on this, the guy had some logitech mouse that he said was the issue. I have no such logitech mouse.

I am experiencing the exact same problem.
Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.58.16 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Steps to Reproduce:
If the browser window is not full-screen/maximized when using middle mouse button it may do one of the following:
a) jumps to the next window and does not close the tab
b) jumps to next window and closes tab
c )closes tab and works properly by staying on same monitor

Additional Information:
It doesn’t matter if I use my 1080p or 1440p monitor. Same results are observed.

Thanks to both of you for reporting.
Looking into this right now.

-additional info, if I have the window not maximized, and middle click a tab, it doesn’t close it, but jumps to the next monitor over to the same x,y (instead of the relative position)

• edit -

when I tear off a tab, and let go on new display, the main browser the tab came from jumps to that display when I let it go.

1 Like

any updates? This is a deal breaker for me.

We recently updated to v0.58.21 - can (anyone) ensure that you’ve got the most recent update installed and tell me whether or not this issue still occurs?

Yes. I can confirm this is still an issue.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I just made noises about this to our QA and Desktop teams. Hopefully I’ll be back soon with some suggestions.
Just to confirm - this only happens when you middle click a tab, correct? Are there any other actions that result in this behavior?

Yes, when tearing off a tab, and moving to New window, when you drop it, the original window jumps to that display as well.

Just wanted to confirm i am also having the same issue when closing a tab with the middle click, i also do not have a logitech mouse. it seems this started happening when the browser switch to the chromium base as it did not happen before that

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

@the0ckid82 Do you see this issue while using Chrome as well?

@supergtt @scorpion62, @the0ckid82
I’m getting ready to file an issue for this officially but first, just to cover all bases, would any of you be willing to download our Brave Beta or Brave Developer channel builds and see if you encounter the same behavior? I imagine that will be the case but again, covering all bases.

All Brave channels can be installed in parallel with one another, so you won’t overwrite or delete any data from your previous installs.

Let me know what you find out and if the issue persists, I’ll file this today and make sure devs get eyes on it. Appreciate your patience.

Beta - yes still happens.
Developer - yes still happens.

1 Like

no this is not happening with chrome on the current version as well as chrome canary

edit: i also installed both the beta and dev branches and the issue is still happening though there is one change. on stable branch there is a delay of around half a second before the window moves to a different display, on beta and dev when middle clicking to close a tab the move is instant

1 Like

I had the opposite event. The beta and dev were slower to make the jump. takes about half second on stable, full second on beta/dev.

1 Like

I figured as much.
Thank you all for trying anyway - always good to rule out as much as possible. I’ll go ahead and log this by EoD and reply here with a link to the report.
Thanks again for everyone’s help and apologies for the inconvenience.

1 Like

As promised, issue is filed and can be tracked here:

To make things easier for the devs, if you’d like, you can comment here on this thread with your device/brave information. Namely:

• Operating System used
  • Brave version number (stable is fine)
  • How many additional active displays you have on your machine
    • Also if there’s anything unique or specific to your [monitor] setup that may be useful as well (if you have them running through a USB hub, for example)

Appreciate everyone’s help on this.

1 Like

version - Version 0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
OS - win 10 - 10.0.17134 build 17134
Running 3 total displays. main is a 1440p over dual dvi, #2 is 1080p over DP, #3 is a 4k TV over hdmi.
Driven by a EVGA 980ti on Geforce 417.35.

1 Like