Browser starting to take much longer to fully load

Description of the issue:
The startup performance of Brave-Browser I think has gone down since the 0.56.15 release. It’s taking around 10 seconds to fully load the browser to the New Tab page with the background image. I believe before this it was much more rapid, surprisingly rapid in contrast to the deprecated Muon.

Reproduces how often:
100%

Brave Version(about:brave):
Latest

Version 0.56.15 Chromium: 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit) 
from .rpm file for OpenSuse

Additional Information:
Even though it’s not as bad as Muon’s version, I thought it is still best reporting it before it gets to that level.

Have you installed any browser extensions? What options have you changed?

@Numpty, which Linux distro are you using?

@2da I’ve got 27 extensions installed but neither of them are enabled, I usually enable extensions for when I need them.

@Mattches Sorry it was an oversight on my part. I’m using it on OpenSuse, manually downloaded and installed from the .rpm file every time when ever the latest stable release shows up on Github’s releases page.

UPDATE: The time has halved since last post.

1 Like

I’ve got 27 extensions installed but neither of them are enabled, I usually enable extensions for when I need them.

They still have to be initialized during start-up even when they’re disabled. Try to temporary uninstall all of your extensions

Yeah right, like I’m going to do that :sweat_smile:

Just to update you though the time has sort of halved and it now takes around 4 seconds.

All Data types in History is manually cleaned so I honestly don’t know what I’m doing different.

@Mattches you can close this topic because it’s quicker than anything, I don’t know aht cause the issue previously but just before you do can you you tell me what the user above says is true about extensions

That’s a security risk as well isn’t it?

1 Like

I don’t believe so, but don’t quote me just yet. Let me get confirmation first. Good question to ask/know anyway imo.
Hang tight.

Edit: said the wrong thing.

Confirmed: Extensions are not initialized on launch unless enabled.
So disabling all would increase load time - potentially significantly, depending on how many you have installed.

Hope that helps @Numpty.
Closing the thread now.

1 Like