Browser only works in Incognito

Description of the issue:
Not able to connect to any links in the desktop browser from google.com, youtube.com, and everything in between. Eventually if I wait long enough, I see the following prompt.

The connection to google.com is not secure

I am able to access links via the Incognito mode normally. I have reinstalled Brave, cleared my cache and cookies, and restarted my desktop.

If it also helps, https://support.brave.com/ does not work for me unless I use Incognito mode as well.

I was able to use Brave browser normally a few hours ago, shut off my PC, and booted up to this issue.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave Browser
  2. Go to any link

Expected result: Links to load

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.65.123 Chromium: 124.0.6367.91 (Official Build)

Additional Information:

Update: It looks like I am able to do an initial load of a link, say Youtube, but it would stop loading shortly after. Close Brave, open a link, initial load, stuck in the processing loop, but only if I keep restarting Brave.

@Oizys,
Thank you for reaching out. Can you confirm whether or not you’re on a VPN or any other altered connection? Additionally, to confirm, if you click the Continue to site option listed on the error page, will the browser take you to the site?

Hi,

I was not using a VPN or altered connection.

And clicking the continue to site option did not work.

I was able to resolve the issue by removing my extensions. I would have to assume it was uBlock Origin causing an issue? I also have Grammarly and SimpleLogin as my only other extensions.

Thank you for confirming. Extensions were going to be my next suggestion.

I would recommend re-installing them one at a time until you find the offending extension and let me know so I can make a note of this.

If you are using the most secure browser on the market why would you add uBlock Origin. Youre almost sure to get conflicts and ublock requires pretty careful selection of filters whereas Brave does not.

I have reinstalled them one by one, along with other extensions I have used in the past but can’t seem to replicate the issue again.

But if the issue were to re-occur, I’ll be sure to message you.

Thanks.

1 Like